    I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
    'plugin' to apache.

    Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

    Someone, Oct 20, 2004

  2. Someone

    Ann Guest

    "Someone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
    > because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
    > But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
    > environment?
    >
    > I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
    > a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
    > helping me to do so on a Win32 box.
    >
    > I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
    > 'plugin' to apache.
    >
    > Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

    It is totally possible to have just tomcat handle everything. If you want to
    change the port from 8080 to 80, it is in one of the configuration files.

    Ann, Oct 20, 2004

  3. Someone

    Joe Guest

    Someone <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
    > because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
    > But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
    > environment?
    >
    > I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
    > a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
    > helping me to do so on a Win32 box.
    >
    > I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
    > 'plugin' to apache.
    >
    > Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

    The Tomcat site does (as far as I remember) recommend that Tomcat be
    not used as a production HTTP server - checkout JK2 - this provides an
    Apache module which allows Apache (running on port 80) to filter
    requests to Tomcat (running on, say, port 8080). You can then disable
    Tomcat's default contexts and prevent access to 8080 from the outside
    world using a firewall. (Apache can then also be used to handle SSL
    access if required.)

    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/jk2/

    Joe

    Joe, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Someone

    kevin Guest

    Someone <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
    > because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
    > But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
    > environment?
    >
    > I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
    > a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
    > helping me to do so on a Win32 box.
    >
    > I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
    > 'plugin' to apache.
    >
    > Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

    you can plug tomcat into apache, using at least two methods
    mod_jk2
    ajp13 (mod_jk)

    both are connectors defined in the server.xml of tomcat, just like the
    standard conenctor for HTTP on port 8080.
    Look in your server.xml. You probably already have the definition for
    ajp13 commented out.
    There are plenty of howtos about both of these. They work by linking
    tomcat into apache as a service to handle .jsp or servlet http
    requests.
    You will need to modify the settings of tomcat and apache, and create
    a few property files, but plenty of help is out there

    here are a few pointers

    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html
    http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/jk2/

    HTH

    kevin, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Someone

    Ann Guest

    > > I've downloaded tomcat which seems to have a built in http server
    > > because I can start tomcat, deploy a webapp and hit it on port 8080.
    > > But am I right in saying this is just to be used as a test
    > > environment?
    > >
    > > I want to set up a box as a production environment with apache running
    > > a java application server such as tomcat but I can't find any articles
    > > helping me to do so on a Win32 box.
    > >
    > > I am assuming that tomcat isn't just standalone, and that it can
    > > 'plugin' to apache.
    > >
    > > Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

    > The Tomcat site does (as far as I remember) recommend that Tomcat be
    > not used as a production HTTP server

    Depends on the production environment. If you have 99.999 percent jsp
    then I don't see why you need Apache. What's wrong with this statement?

    Ann, Oct 21, 2004