Configuring ASP.NET 2.0 Application Folders in IIS 5.0

Guest

I'm working on adding a new .NET 2.0 web page to a web site that is currently
using only classic ASP pages and is administered via IIS 5.0. The server has
the .NET 2.0 framework installed and I am trying to deploy ASP.NET 2.0 aspx
pages to an existing folder under the web site's home directory. However,
after changing the properties of the folder, thus creating a web application,
when browsing to the *.aspx file that is deployed there, I get an HTTP 404
error (resource cannot be found).

The ASP.NET tab in the configuration does show the web application to be
running the .NET 2.0 framework.

Here are some more details:

* The pre-existing folder under the web site home directory is where I
clicked properties and on the Directory tab I clicked the Create button to
create the web application.
* Before creating the web application in IIS, I copied a HelloWorld.aspx
file out to the target directory and was able to browse to it successfully.

Any ideas as to what I may be missing?

I'll supply more details if necessary.

Mike

1) you cannot run an ASP app under the same folder as an .NET web app
2) create a new folder for your asp.net web app
3) make sure your asp.net web folder is configured to run under .NET 2.0
framework.

Jon Paal [MSMD]

* Before creating the web application in IIS, I copied a HelloWorld.aspx
file out to the target directory and was able to browse to it successfully.

why change proprties of folder ?

shouldn't be necessary.

Guest

Because I am trying to deploy an ASP.NET 2.0 web page, it will be executing
code compiled into DLLs on the server. Therefore, we must change the
property of the folder in IIS, creating an Application folder.

Jon Paal [MSMD]

I've never had to do that for anywebsite.

..

Jad said:
Because I am trying to deploy an ASP.NET 2.0 web page, it will be executing
code compiled into DLLs on the server. Therefore, we must change the
property of the folder in IIS, creating an Application folder.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jad,

For ASP.NET and ASP, they can work together side by side in the same IIS
application virtual directory since they're using the different ISAPI
extensions. And for IIS5, ASP.NET requests will be executed in a dedicated
aspnet_wp.exe process after forwarded from IIS process while ASP requests
are still being processed in IIS process(depend on the isolation level of
the virtual directory). Here is a web article describe the process model
and configuration mapping for ASP.NET application in IIS:

#ASP.NET Internals ¨C IIS and the Process Model
http://dotnetslackers.com/articles/iis/ASPNETInternalsIISAndTheProcessModel.
aspx

For your problem, you got 404 error when visiting the ASP.NET page, I think
you can check the following things:

** Create some other virtual directory(application) under the default SITE
to see whether you can make ASP.NET page working in it.

** check the problem virtual directory's application extension
mappings(through the home directory tab's "configuration" button), you can
refer to the above article.

In addition, since you mentioned that the asp.net page can work before you
make the virtual directory an "application", you can change it back to a
normal virtual directory and test it again. If that still work, try
comparing the upper level(site root)'s ASP.NET extension mapping or other
setting to see whether there is anything different.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jad,

How you doing? Have you got progress on this issue or does the sugestion in
please feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Guest

Thanks for checking back. I am actually having to work the issue with a
server admin. We are altogether stumped. Unfortunately, I won't know if
we've made any progress until the admin has more time to sit down with me and
work the issue.

Thanks again for all of your feedback.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Jad,

Thanks for the reply and if you have any new update later or anything we
can help, welcome to discuss here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

RH

I just struggled with this issue and found this posting. I had already
followed the suggested steps listed above. The solution for me was to
enable the web extensions for both ASP and ASP.netV2.0 in inetmgr.exe.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thank you for your input RH,

Yes, for IIS 6, the "web service extension" is a possible cause. However,
for IIS5, there is no web service extension setting. Anyway, there does
exists something in IIS we need to take care for such scenario.