Configuring IIS6 on Win Server 2003 for VS 2005

GAZ

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a
step-by-step instructions for configuring IIS6 for web development with
Visual Studio 2005.

God knows I tried everything but nothing works. We can't even create a web
site from the VS on our workstations let alone do some development. I must
admit it was way easier with IIS5.

Thanks in advance.

BR,

GAZ

Fred Chateau

I'll let someone else point you to the documentation. I just wanted to
mention that it's actually a whole lot easier once you get use to it.

If you have any specific questions, post them and I'll try to answer now.

GAZ

Thanks for your answer.

We believe that security setup is the issue at hand. Basically, however we
set up the IIS when we try to create a web site from VS 2005 we get the
window showing a message 'Creating website such-and-such' and it just stands
there. It neither creates the web site nor reports an error.

Any help is appreciated.

GAZ

Juan T. Llibre

A bunch of unnecessary newsgroups were deleted from the recipient list.

1. Did you install IIS ?
2. Did you enable ASP.NET ?

IIS 6.0 is locked down by default,
and you must enable whatever you need to run in IIS 6.0.

Open the IIS MMC, scroll on the left to "Web Service Extensions" and select that.

Now, go to the right-hand panel, select whatever you want to allow
( ASP, one or more versions of ASP.NET, CGI, ISAPI, etc. )
....and click the "Allow" button.

David Wang

It's a lot "easier" with IIS5 because it is a lot less secure than
IIS6. Just about anything could exploit IIS5, so of course you could
create websites.

It is in your best interest to understand security and how to develop
software in the security-conscious world. IIS is not getting any more
"relaxed" about security, so you can be assured that IIS7 and Vista is
even stricter.

VS2005 documentation tells you the two ways that it interacts with IIS
-- either via FPSE or ADSI+UNC. Make sure you know how you configure
VS2005 to interact with IIS, and make sure those ports are opened on
the server's firewall (if it is running). Also, you can check on IIS
web log files for request status if you are using FPSE.

Yes, all these things are wide open by default on IIS5 so it just
works without effort, and they are all disabled by default on IIS6
because that is the secure way. Security only seems like a pain until
you understand it; then it is just blatantly obvious.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//

GAZ

Thanks all for your answers. However, we actually set everything right
(without the docs) and the problem was not security.

Our web server had everything installed but FPSE. When we installed the FPSE
from the Control Panel and enabled it for some reason it attached only one
DLL to the IIS.

We actually had to re-install the IIS and had to enable the FPSE from the
setup to get all DLLs attached.

Evereything works like a charm now.

BR,

GAZ