configuring MS java in ecllipse

surendran.d

hi all,

I am currently working, on MS JAVA and I am using VJ++ IDE for
development. Is there anyway to configure ECLLIPSE with MS JAVA. Please
tell me if there any other IDE available for god damn thing.,
thanks
suri

Daniel Dyer

hi all,

I am currently working, on MS JAVA and I am using VJ++ IDE for
development. Is there anyway to configure ECLLIPSE with MS JAVA. Please
tell me if there any other IDE available for god damn thing.,
thanks
suri

I doubt very much that you could get Eclipse to work with Microsoft's
non-standard, obsolete "Java" products. Why not just use Sun's Java?
Even Microsoft suggests making the transition to Sun Java
(http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/).

Dan.

Tobias Schierge

Hi,
Is there anyway to configure ECLLIPSE with MS JAVA.

i'm not sure wether you can configure eclipse to use the JVC-Compiler, but
its definitely not possible to run eclipse itself under MS Java.

If you just need this for applet development you should consider compiling
with sun java and target 1.1.

Regards,

Tobias

Andrew Thompson

I am currently working, on MS JAVA ...

What do you mean by MS Java*?

Do you mean you want write applets capable of running
in a Java 1.1 VM, such as the MSVM or Symantec's Java
1.1.5 (that came with Netscape 4.78)?

If 'yes' then you can certainly compile classes compatible
for Java 1.1 using modern IDE's, it is a matter of

a) Getting hold of a 1.1 JVM or SDK, this might be..
- Sun Java 1.1.8
- A Symantec VM ripped from NN 4.78(ish)
- An MSVM stripped from an old IE.

[ 'ripped'/'stripped' is probably not necessary, but
when I am getting at VM's I usually take a sledgehammer
to them! ]

b) Setting the compile/run options of the IDE to use
the alternate VM. (I refer to 'VM' when I actually
mean the equivalent of 'rt.jar' in Sun's implementation,
MS has their VM in a number of zip files).

If OTOH, you are writing Java applets that use
com.ms classes, I say.. STOP THAT!

If you want functionality on Windows only, do it
in .NET, it makes much more sense (and is less
damaging to Java!).

* and note that Java is not an acronym which
requires ALL UPPER CASE.

HTH

Andrew Thompson

If you just need this for applet development you should consider compiling
with sun java and target 1.1.

A target of 1.1 is not enough*.

You need to provide a 1.1 compatible rt.jar (or equivalent)
as the -bootclasspath for the compilation to be guaranteed
to be 1.1 compatible.

* target simply specifies the class file bytecode format.

Tobias Schierge

Hi,
* target simply specifies the class file bytecode format.

I know, but if you just need this for applet compilation to be able to run
in MSIE with MS-VM this should work, as long as you stick to the use of 1.1
API.

Regards,

Tobias

Andrew Thompson

Hi,

I know, but if you just need this for applet compilation to be able to run
in MSIE with MS-VM this should work, as long as you stick to the use of 1.1
API.

You are wrong. Using a target of 1.1 does *not* guarantee
that only Java 1.1 classes and methods are used in the bytecodes
of the resulting classes, even if you do use only 1.1 classes,
methods and attributes in the code!

You *must* specify the -bootclasspath to guarantee that
the code is compiled down to using only 1.1 c/m/a.

Setting the -target option to 1.1 (by itself) might result
in code that is written for 1.1, *loads* in 1.1, but then
fails with a NoSuchMethodError.

It is that simple.

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

I am currently working, on MS JAVA and I am using VJ++ IDE for
development. Is there anyway to configure ECLLIPSE with MS JAVA. Please
tell me if there any other IDE available for god damn thing.,

1) Run "clspack -auto" to generate %Windir%\Java\classes\classes.zip

2) Add a user library for the MS classes.zip generated. In your
project, remove the reference to the JRE system library, and add
the MS classes library instead.

3) If you decide to use the MS-specific classes you need the
MS-specific launchers jview or wjview - these are in
%WinDir%\System32; Sadly, Microsoft has different command line
switches than Sun, so just run it outside the IDE.

Tim Tyler

I am currently working, on MS JAVA and I am using VJ++ IDE for
development. Is there anyway to configure ECLLIPSE with MS JAVA. [...]

I've done this. The trick I used was pointing the JVM executable
path at a batch file, that launched the Microsoft VM with the correct
arguments - and no "-xbootclasspath". It's pretty easy - once you
know this trick.

I posted full instructions to the Eclipse newsgroups long ago -
though I don't know if they are well archived.

Tim Tyler

I am currently working, on MS JAVA and I am using VJ++ IDE for
development. Is there anyway to configure ECLLIPSE with MS JAVA.

Here's the batch file I used to use:

echo %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7
"C:\Java\JDK\Microsoft\Bin\jview.exe" /cp %2 %3

You choose "alternative JRE" and "alternative executable" to point to
a batch file like this one.