configuring temporary entry widget of TableList Cell using Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by lee.walczak@gmail.com, Aug 18, 2008.

    I am using Tkinter & the Kevin Walzer's TableList Wrapper for python
    implemented GUI:

    http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListWrapper

    The TableList has been extremely useful in allowing me to create my
    GUI for my engineering requirements, but I have hit a brick wall and
    need some assistance.

    "I am unable to configure the Temporary Embedded ComboBox List when
    the specific TableList cell is selected for editing"

    I have a registered the Bwidget Combobox widget so I can use this as
    an alternative temporary Entry Widget ( depending on the specific cell
    usage) thanks to some assistance from Kevin Walzer ( Many thanks ). I
    configure the particular cell's edit window (-editwindow ) for
    ComboBox which is working successfully.
    The problem I have is I wish to change the "-values" of the Temporary
    Combobox Widget i.e. a List that I can specify.
    When my "-editstartcommand" is called I firstly get the pathname of
    the Temporary Embedded Widget using,
    TEW = editwinpath()
    I am then assuming (although I must be wrong!) that I can then do:

    TEW.configure( values=("my","list","of","Strings"))

    However, this leads to the exception error -> TEW does not contain
    such an attribute "configure".
    My reference for this procedure is (http://objectmix.com/tcl/377931-
    communicating-tablelist-embedded-widgets.html but also available from
    tcl.tk tablelist coding examples) :

    proc editStartCmd {tbl row col text} {
    set w [$tbl editwinpath]

    switch [$tbl columncget $col -name] {
    currency {
    #
    # Populate the ComboBox and make it non-editable
    #
    $w configure -values {Dollar Euro Yen ...} -editable no
    }

    .. . .
    }

    return $text
    }

    It is this procedure I am trying to replicate in Python. Is it
    possible to guide help tell me the right approach here. Of course I
    can submit my code to help ( if this is useful ) but the problem I
    think clear to see from these summary details.
    Please take it easy on me, I am a HW engineer by trade and am slowly
    (but surely) gaining more knowledge & experience in the world of
    Python (and of course Tkinter)!

    B.Regards,

    Lee Walczak
    , Aug 18, 2008

  2. wrote:

    > It is this procedure I am trying to replicate in Python. Is it
    > possible to guide help tell me the right approach here. Of course I
    > can submit my code to help ( if this is useful ) but the problem I
    > think clear to see from these summary details.

    I'm afraid this is a bit TL;DR for me right now, but you might find more
    patient contributors over at the Tkinter mailing list:

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Aug 18, 2008

    On Aug 18, 7:01 pm, Fredrik Lundh <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > It is this procedure I am trying to replicate in Python. Is it
    > > possible to guide help tell me the right approach here. Of course I
    > > can submit my code to help ( if this is useful ) but the problem I
    > > think clear to see from these summary details.

    > I'm afraid this is a bit TL;DR for me right now, but you might find more
    > patient contributors over at the Tkinter mailing list:

    > </F>

    Thanks for the details fredrik, will try here.

    Lee
    , Aug 18, 2008