Discussion in 'Python' started by zsh-users-help@sunsite.dk, Aug 30, 2003.

    mailing list.

    To confirm that you would like

    removed from the zsh-users mailing list, please send an empty reply
    to this address:

    zsh-users-uc.1062283803.okifnhokaldgjdaajooj-python-list=

    Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
    If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
    the "To:" field of a new message.

    I haven't checked whether your address is currently on the mailing list.
    To see what address you used to subscribe, look at the messages you are
    receiving from the mailing list. Each message has your address hidden
    inside its return path; for example, receives messages
    with return path: <zsh-users-return-<number>-mary=.

    --- Administrative commands for the zsh-users list ---

    DO NOT SEND THEM TO THE LIST ADDRESS! If you do, I will not
    see them and other subscribers will be annoyed. Instead, send

    <>

    <>

    <>
    <>

    <>
    <>

    <>

    <>

    so you'll actually get 100-499.

    send an empty message to:
    <>

    for example "", just add a hyphen and your
    <zsh-users-subscribe-john=>

    <zsh-users-unsubscribe-john=>

    . Please be patient, my owner is a
    lot slower than I am ;-)

    From: <>
    To: <>
    Subject: Re: Wicked screensaver
    Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:50:00 --0600

    --_NextPart_000_05F77684

    See the attached file for details
    --_NextPart_000_05F77684--

    , Aug 30, 2003

  2. Terry Reedy Guest

    <> wrote in message

    Hi, exmlm

    > mailing list.
    >
    > To confirm that you would like
    >

    > removed from the zsh-users mailing list, please send an empty reply
    > to this address:

    zsh-users-uc.1062283803.okifnhokaldgjdaajooj-python-list=python.org@su
    nsite.dk

    > Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
    > If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
    > the "To:" field of a new message.
    >
    > I haven't checked whether your address is currently on the mailing

    list.

    Then you are a pretty dumb program. I bet it is not. You should know
    that any 'user' called xxx-list is another mailing list and that any
    attempt to subscript or unsubscript such is a casual or malicious joke
    (possibly from viruses, as probably with this case). What would you
    do if I forged an email trying to subscribe/unsubscribe zsh-users
    to/from itself? Would you send a messege asking it to reply?

    Tempted programmer

    PS. Anyone know what mailman would do?

    Terry Reedy, Aug 31, 2003

  3. "Terry Reedy" <> writes:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the

    > Hi, exmlm
    >
    >> mailing list.
    >>
    >> To confirm that you would like
    >>

    >> removed from the zsh-users mailing list, please send an empty reply
    >> to this address:
    >>

    > zsh-users-uc.1062283803.okifnhokaldgjdaajooj-python-list=python.org@su
    > nsite.dk
    >>
    >> Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
    >> If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
    >> the "To:" field of a new message.
    >>
    >> I haven't checked whether your address is currently on the mailing

    > list.
    >
    > Then you are a pretty dumb program. I bet it is not. You should know
    > that any 'user' called xxx-list is another mailing list and that any
    > attempt to subscript or unsubscript such is a casual or malicious joke
    > (possibly from viruses, as probably with this case).

    Ever heard of sublists? And about people using different addresses for
    each list they subscribe to, such as ?

    > What would you do if I forged an email trying to subscribe/unsubscribe
    > zsh-users to/from itself? Would you send a messege asking it to reply?

    Yes, but the confirmation request would never reach the list. Ezmlm
    will reject messages containing a "Mailing-List" header. (Unless it has
    been configured as a sublist)

    Probably Mailman should do the same!?

    /Claus A

    Claus Alboege, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Terry Reedy Guest

    "Claus Alboege" <> wrote in message
    > "Terry Reedy" <> writes:
    >
    > >> I haven't checked whether your address is currently on the

    mailing
    > > list.
    > >
    > > Then you are a pretty dumb program.

    Not checking for the subscriber list is what I thought dumb.

    > Ever heard of sublists?

    I would expect sublists to be specially configured, by or with list
    owner approval, as you seem to imply below, rather than added thru
    public subscribe mechanism.

    > And about people using different addresses for
    > each list they subscribe to, such as ?

    No. I have never had unlimited address availability. I have exactly
    1 from udel and 7 for the family from ISP. But it soulds like a great
    idea. Just yesterday I got virus spam sent to names harvested from a
    particular list. If I had a special address for that list, I would
    resubscribe with a new name. If I ever buy a domain-name service with
    'unlimited' email accounts, I will try this. Thanks.

    > will reject messages containing a "Mailing-List" header. (Unless it

    has
    > been configured as a sublist)

    TJR

    Terry Reedy, Aug 31, 2003
  5. [OT] Re: confirm unsubscribe from

    "Terry Reedy" <> writes:

    > "Claus Alboege" <> wrote in message

    > mailing
    >> > list.
    >> >
    >> > Then you are a pretty dumb program.

    > Not checking for the subscriber list is what I thought dumb.

    Oh, well I'm not sure why it has been implemented that way, but two
    reasons that comes into mind are, code simplicity and the fact that
    these bogus unsubscribe requests are really rare - at least until now.

    >> Ever heard of sublists?

    > I would expect sublists to be specially configured, by or with list
    > owner approval, as you seem to imply below, rather than added thru
    > public subscribe mechanism.

    Not nessecarily. Having a bunch of users, behind a slow and expencive
    link, each one subscribed to more or less the same set of lists, would
    benefit from sublists. These can easily be setup by the local
    admin. There is no need to involve the admin of the parent list.

    >> And about people using different addresses for
    >> each list they subscribe to, such as ?

    > No. I have never had unlimited address availability. I have exactly
    > 1 from udel and 7 for the family from ISP. But it soulds like a great
    > idea. Just yesterday I got virus spam sent to names harvested from a
    > particular list. If I had a special address for that list, I would
    > resubscribe with a new name.

    Exactly, yet another way to deal with spam :)

    > If I ever buy a domain-name service with 'unlimited' email accounts, I
    > will try this. Thanks.

    /Claus A

    Claus Alboege, Aug 31, 2003