Confirming Postback in classic ASP

A Ratcliffe

Hopefully just a couple of quick quick questions/responses, but its not
something I've generally had trouble with in the past. Unfortunately, I need
answers ASAP if anyone is available to help.

a) Having seen .NET's IsPostBack which solves many problems, I looked at the
ServerVariables etc to see what I could check to confirm PostBack in classic
ASP. I initially considered using HTTP_REFERER to check it was coming from
my form, and then I noticed the Server-variable REQUEST_METHOD which tells
me 'POST'. Is this a safe combination to garantee my form is receiving a
PostBack from itself?

b) Post-data Pass-thru. I have Page1, Page2, Page 3. The USer enters some
data in Page1, submits to Page2 which validates the data, and asks for extra
info. When submitting to 3, I want the data from both Page1 and Page2 to be
Posted to Page3. I know I could have a hidden form in Page2 and the
Response.Write set values into the hidden fields from Page!, but that would
leave Page1's details available to anyone who 'View Source'd....Is there
anyway to 'pass-thru' the Posted Data?

There was a third Question, but I'll put that into another post,

Yours,

Ann-Marie Ratcliffe
(e-mail address removed)

Matthew Lock

Be warned that some utilities like Norton Internet Security mask the
HTTP_REFERER by default. The most reliable method would be to encode
something in a hidden field, and check for the value of it.

Matthew