Conflicting Controls (who dunit?)

Guadala Harry

I have a very simple aspx page (no code-behind logic) that hosts two 3rd
party controls (a dynamic menu and a calendar). The dynamic menu has the
bare minimum number of properties set (declaratively), and the calendar has
no properties explicitly set (declaratively or otherwise). These controls
are placed on the aspx page declaratively. The point so far is that this is
the absolute minimal aspx page with the simplest possible implementation of
each 3rd party control.

The problem:
The menu control fails to render completely when the calendar control is
also declared on the same page. By "fails to render completely" I mean that
the menu renders its top level only (it should show multiple heirarchical
levels) and none of the DHTML code exists in the page when the page source
is viewed in the browser. Even though the top-level looks right, none of the
hyperlinks are rendered.

Put another way, the menu control renders just fine when the calendar
declaration is *removed* from the page. By "just fine" I mean that the menu
shows the correct sub-levels when the mouse is moved over the menu and the
menu otherwise behaves as expected given its minimal configuration...

The calendar - when present - works just fine (as expected given all default
property settings).

So, the bottom line with this minmal page is that these controls apparently
cannot co-exist. What could possibly be going on behind the scenes when
ASP.NET is rendering this page? How could one of the controls impact the
rendering of the other? Alternatively, how could the presence of one control
impact the rendering of another? What can I do about it - if anything? I
have contacted the vendor of the calendar, but have as of yet to hear back.

Thanks!

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi,

The only thing I can think of to get to the bottom of this is to create two
pages. One with the menu and one with the calendar. Then load them in your
browser and grab the page source for each (to make it easier don't put
anything on these pages but the control itself). Then compare the source.
There may be a chance the javascript for these controls is conflicting.
Maybe a function is named the same. So when you hover over the menu the
function for the calendar is actually being called or something? I'm really
not sure. That is my best guess. Hopefully the vendors let you see the
javascript and don't hide it from you. Good luck! Ken.