confused about access / sql database / sql server / php !! .. help please

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by cooldv, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. cooldv

    cooldv Guest

    i am running a website on Windows 2000 server with ASP 3 webpages and
    Access 2000 database. (with a hosting company)
    traffic is slow at this time but expect to grow. lately i have been
    reading about sql database and sql server, specially this article:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2195

    will someone help me understand:

    1. with *SQL Server*, do i keep my current Access 2000 database and
    ASP pages?
    if not, then -
    a. what sort of DB i will need? (we r a non profit, so need
    inexpensive things)
    b. will ASP pages need be redesigned? how big/difficult is that
    transition?

    2. if i start using *SQL database*, then which SQL database?

    3. Where does *mySQL* fit in this scene?

    4. What do i do with my current ASP webpages?

    5. i guess, i will need an SQL server if i have to use SQL database?
    any recommendations for a cheaper hosting company?
    cooldv, Oct 5, 2003

  2. cooldv

    Dan Brussee Guest

    On 5 Oct 2003 08:30:21 -0700, (cooldv) wrote:

    >i am running a website on Windows 2000 server with ASP 3 webpages and
    >Access 2000 database. (with a hosting company)
    > traffic is slow at this time but expect to grow. lately i have been
    >reading about sql database and sql server, specially this article:
    >http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2195
    >
    >will someone help me understand:
    >
    >1. with *SQL Server*, do i keep my current Access 2000 database and
    >ASP pages?

    Yes

    >if not, then -
    >a. what sort of DB i will need? (we r a non profit, so need
    >inexpensive things)

    Depends on what your trafic will look like and how your skills are.

    >b. will ASP pages need be redesigned? how big/difficult is that
    >transition?

    Not redesigned, but perhaps tweaked a bit. This mainly depends on
    "how" you coded the ASP in the first place. See below

    >2. if i start using *SQL database*, then which SQL database?

    This depends on what you know or are willing to learn. On Windows
    based servers, Microsoft SQL Server is the most common choice. On
    Linux based servers, mySQL is most common.

    >3. Where does *mySQL* fit in this scene?

    mySQL is an open source implementation of SQL database.

    >4. What do i do with my current ASP webpages?

    Modify them to work with the syntax of SQL used by the database of
    your choice.

    >5. i guess, i will need an SQL server if i have to use SQL database?
    >any recommendations for a cheaper hosting company?

    This is the big one. Not necessarily. If you are doing mainly lookups
    from a database, this is not too big a deal and you should be able to
    live with Access for quite some time. Actual hit rates and numbers
    will help decide this for you.

    From your comments, it does not appear that you understand that Access
    uses SQL to do it's work in one way or another. SQL stands for
    "Structured Query Language". It is generally a standardized language,
    so for the most part, you can have one query and run it on any number
    of database systems that support SQL. For example:

    SELECT FName, LName FROM People

    That is a SQL statement that will retrieve the First name and Last
    Name from a table named People. It should work in Access, SQL Server,
    mySQL, Oracle and probably most SQL based databases. You run into
    problems when you get a little more tricky. Even seemingly simple
    things like dates need a bit of tweaking to make work. For example

    SELECT LName FROM People Where LogDate = #10/1/2003#

    Will work fine in Access but it needs to be recoded as

    SELECT LName FROM People WHERE LogDate = '10/1/2003'

    (notice the change from # to single quotes) if you were to do the same
    thing in SQL Server. Wildcard search characters are another bugaboo.
    You use asterisk in Access, but % in SQL Server. For what it's worth,
    SQL Server is the more standard way of doing it. Access is the
    exception there.

    Bottom line: You will need to do the following things to convert to
    SQL Server:

    1. Transfer the data from your Access database to SQL Server. At the
    very least, you will need to recreate the schema (database structure)
    in SQL Server. Note that there are more - and different data types in
    SQL Server, so make sure you choose the correct ones.

    2. Recode your connection string from Access to SQL Server. If you use
    a DSN, this is quite simple. Otherwise, you will need to recode
    wherever you make a connection.

    3. Recode whatever SQL statements need syntax changes to support SQL
    Server. There really are not tha many changes if you are not doing
    complex queries.

    If you have any SPECIFIC problems, dont hesitate to post the code and
    the particulars. Im sure someone will be kind enough to help.
    Dan Brussee, Oct 5, 2003

  3. cooldv

    Atrax Guest

    > 1. with *SQL Server*, do i keep my current Access 2000
    > database and
    > ASP pages?

    sort of. you lose the Access DB, but import it into SQL Server

    > if not, then -
    > a. what sort of DB i will need? (we r a non profit, so need
    > inexpensive things)
    > b. will ASP pages need be redesigned? how big/difficult is that
    > transition?

    it's not a massive transition if your current code is well designed. a
    couple of SQL calls may need to be changed, your connection string will
    change, but that's about it, really. If you want to take full advantage
    of SQL's capabilities, I'd recommend a bit of an overhaul, though.

    > 2. if i start using *SQL database*, then which SQL database?

    up to you.

    > 3. Where does *mySQL* fit in this scene?

    it's a free/cheap SQL database server, not by any means as
    fully-featured as MSSQL but still a step up from Access. It's less well
    supported under ASP, community-wise, since most ASP developers use SQL
    Server or Access

    > 4. What do i do with my current ASP webpages?

    keep 'em and change the calls as required

    > 5. i guess, i will need an SQL server if i have to use SQL database?
    > any recommendations for a cheaper hosting company?

    yup, you can't use a SQL Server database without the associated server.
    try www.aspin.com for a start on web hosts. they're expensive! as a
    non-profit you may have a good bargaining position, I work for a
    non-profit here and we get a lot of concessions.

    Atrax. MVP, IIS
    http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

    newsflash : Atrax.Richedit 1.0 now released.
    http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/infinitemonkeys/components/Atrax.RichEdit/

    Atrax, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Most of your questions have been answered by other posts (very well, might I
    add...nice job, Dan), but I can answer the last, about webhosting.

    My experience has been that just about anyone will host your site for
    $9.99/month until you say, well, that's great, what about MSSQL? Then the
    price jumps to $99.99+/month. I guess that's to pay for licensing fees etc
    etc etc, but when you consider the volume these companies do it's pretty
    outrageous (any thoughts on that, ladies and gentlemen?). There was one
    company - who shall remain nameless (email me if you want to know the
    story) - that did MSSQL hosting for $9.99, but their backup scheme was
    disastrous and I've since moved on. Far on.

    Check out www.hostmysite.com and www.finesthost.net. I've worked with both,
    currently use the second, and had good luck with both. (check out
    www.seamlyne.com for my current site)

    One note though, about transitioning between databases. Hopefully you've
    got all of your SQL functions in one ASP page which is called from any page
    needing a connection. That way, you only have to change the connection
    string ONCE, and all the other pages get it in one shot.

    Regards, and good luck!

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC