Confused about J2EE frameworks (and hotswap)

Discussion in 'Java' started by jimi_usenet@hotmail.com, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have been interested in J2EE development for some time now, and have
    fairly recently learnt about good design patterns (like MVC), but I
    have had
    some problems sticking to these patterns. Then I heard about Struts,
    and
    that it is more or less based on the MVC pattern (actually, I did hear
    and
    read about Struts some years ago, but then I know nothing of MVC). But
    as I
    have been fairly busy lately, I haven't had the time to really get into
    what
    Struts is and how it works. But then yesterday I though to myself, "OK,
    now
    it's time to learn Struts". But when I looked around on the web, I
    found
    page after page calling Struts more or less a thing of the past, and
    that
    there now are far better frameworks around.
    So now I am very confused. I get the feeling that it's stupid to learn
    Struts now, and that I should focus on some other framework instead.
    But
    which one?

    Also, the frame works in generall are all very confusing for me. Mostly

    there's *alot* of pre-configuration, and the examples they show on
    their
    sites are often far too simple in functionallity and still fairly
    complex to
    create, if you ask me.

    What I really would want to do is to "integrate" some good framework
    with my
    existing, in-development web-community, without having to re-write more
    then
    a few % hopefully. But how do I do that?

    Also, I have implemented a simple hotswap-functionallity, to be able to

    change or add functionallity (ie change/add/remove java classes) while
    users
    are online and surfing. This I have solved by letting all action
    classes
    (for instance, Register, Login, SendMessage) get loaded by custom
    classloaders (actually, a classloader from Ant). Each time I have
    changed/added/removed an action class, I update a configuration file
    and the
    issue a load-action-classes command to the servlet, and then the
    servlet
    uses the classloader (a new instance each time) and loades the classes
    defined in the configuration file. I think this approch works fairly
    good.
    But how do I make all this work in the framework I choose? When I read
    about
    the different frameworks, they all seem so patronising. "We do most of
    the
    stuff for you. You don't have to worry your pretty little head what
    goes on
    behind the scenes."

    Also, the community I'm working on doesn't use any EJB, and the
    persistence
    is implemented in a storage class with alot of SQL-code.

    So, where do I start? Is it possible to make this mess-of-a-project
    into
    something beautifully structured, using some framework? And still
    having
    hotswapping-possibillitys?

    In the future I want to be able to have the community on several
    servers for
    performance. I want to use resource files to be able to change the text
    on
    the pages easily.

    I use Apache 2, Tomcat 5.5 and MySQL 4.

    Regards