confused abt what to choose!

boris

i want to learn a language and hav options between JAVA and DotNet
languages.but i am totally confused abt what to do.as this forum is
for java only thats y i m askin y shud i preffer JAVA over DotNet
languages like C#.net,vb.net or asp.net.I am intrested in software and
somewhat in game development.plz help.

senior

i want to learn a language and hav options between JAVA and DotNet
languages.but i am totally confused abt what to do.as this forum is
for java only thats y i m askin y shud i preffer JAVA over DotNet
languages like C#.net,vb.net or asp.net.I am intrested in software and
somewhat in game development.plz help.

for evey technology there is community support it

you can be either J2EE developer or .Net developer or both !

always java is more strong than .Net , ofcourse it depends to
developer skills , if you want only to drag and drop and your
boundry limited to microsoft product then go to .Net , its easier than
java and has a good chance in the marketing

a24900

for java only thats y i m askin y shud i preffer JAVA over DotNet

Since you are apparently not able to write complete words, go for
visual basic. It is made by idiots for idiots.

Lew

Since you are apparently not able to write complete words, go for
visual basic. It is made by idiots for idiots.

Now, now.

To the OP - what has a24900's knickers in a twist is:
i want to learn a language and hav options between JAVA and DotNet
languages.but i am totally confused abt what to do.as this forum is
for java only thats y i m askin y shud i preffer JAVA over DotNet
languages like C#.net,vb.net or asp.net.I am intrested in software and
somewhat in game development.plz help.

The word "I" in English is always capitalized.
"abt" is actually spelled "about".
Periods at the ends of sentences should be followed by two spaces each.
The first word of every sentence should be capitalized.
"y" is actually "why".
"askin" is actually spelled "asking".
"m" is actually spelled "am".
"shud" is actually spelled "should".
"preffer" is actually spelled "prefer".
"C#.net" is actually spelled "C#.Net".
"vb.net" is actually spelled "VB.Net".
"asp.net" is actually spelled "ASP.Net".
"intrested" is actually spelled "interested".
"Java" is not spelled "java" or "JAVA".
Commas should be followed by one space each.
"Plz" is actually spelled "please".

To answer a24900:

There is no evidence that the OP is an idiot, and VB was most certainly not
intended for idiots nor made by idiots. Even if it were, it's hardly relevant
here.

Back to the OP:

Programming is an art of precision. Things like upper and lower case matter.
If you get in the habit of precision in your English, at least in your
newsgroup posts, it will help you as a programmer. Also, you get better
results (at least here) when you communicate clearly instead of using childish
"txtspeak" spellings.

The choice between .Net and Java is not cut and dry. Both have markets and
lots of support. I personally prefer Java, but that is only because I am a
genius and always support the better technology. Also, where I live there is
a huge market for J[2]EE programmers.

Overall, kidding aside, I believe Java is a stronger language, if only because
it's cross platform. Windows makes for expensive and unstable servers, unlike
Linux or Solaris (and other Unices). There is much more in the way of free
tools and the like for Java.

But if you only know one programming language, you are not a programmer.
Learn several - I would learn VB, Java, Ruby, Javascript and as a last choice,
C#. YMMV.

Oliver Wong

boris said:
i want to learn a language and hav options between JAVA and DotNet
languages.but i am totally confused abt what to do.as this forum is
for java only thats y i m askin y shud i preffer JAVA over DotNet
languages like C#.net,vb.net or asp.net.I am intrested in software and
somewhat in game development.plz help.

Here's a similar question, and its answer, which you may find insightful.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson30.htm
<quote>
"I want to try making a mod, but there are so many different mod tools out
there. Which one is easiest to use and has the most features?"

[...]

Asking people which mod tool to use ignores the fact that different
strokes work for different folks. What somebody else recommends might well
not be the best choice for you. Last year I wanted to find a program that
would let me create simple 3D graphics. I went online and downloaded demos
and tried stuff. I went to the computer fair and found some cheap programs
that weren't available as downloads. Eventually I found something that
worked fairly well for my needs.

The point is, if someone wants to try making a mod, he should just grab
the first thing that's handy and try it. Going around asking people is a
timewasting activity, perhaps unconsciously intended to procrastinate
doing any actual work.

Just go for it! That's what I mean when I say "follow your passions." You
should TRY to DO stuff. An awful lot of people just TALK about doing stuff
and never actually DO it - and those people have a hard time getting
anywhere in the game industry and blame some big conspiracy or something
when it was just their own lazy fault! So GO FOR IT, I say!
</quote>

- Oliver