Confused and dissapppointed about ASP.NET tutorials

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tony Girgenti, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. Hello.

    When i use the ASP.NET quick start tutorials at
    http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/default.aspx, all of the samples
    are shown in HTML.

    It even says there "If you have never developed Web pages before, the
    QuickStart is not for you. You should be fluent in HTML and general Web
    development terminology. You do not need previous ASP experience, but you
    should be familiar with the concepts behind interactive Web pages, including
    forms, scripts, and data access."

    Some of the things they say(and i thought this is what it would be) about
    ASP.NET are "World-Class Tool Support. The ASP.NET framework is complemented
    by a rich toolbox and designer in the Visual Studio integrated development
    environment. WYSIWYG editing, drag-and-drop server controls, and automatic
    deployment are just a few of the features this powerful tool provides."

    and

    "the ASP.NET page framework allows you to build user interfaces that cleanly
    separate application logic from presentation code and to handle events in a
    simple, Visual Basic - like forms processing model."

    For some reason this sounds contrary. When i started making a web page
    project, i used the VS.NET2003 documentation to learn about web pages. Now
    i find out that i need to be "fluent" in HTML. So, it sounds like, if i
    want to learn ASP.NET, i need to learn HTML first.

    Why did they make it sound so simple in VS.NET and not so simple in the
    tutorials ? Am i overly worried that i will have to learn HTML if i want to
    be profecient in ASP.NET ?

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony Girgenti, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Hi Tony,

    I took a quick glance at some of the source code, and they do indeed love
    html over actual coding, and the first tutorials aren't asp.net related at
    all. Furthermore they have put the code inline, instead of using a
    separate code file. Look for <script language="C#"
    runat=server></script> This is the actual code (replace C# with VB ifyou
    do VB code)

    Alternately you can use the 1.1 version which has more samples and
    separate code files (select the file from the top menu)

    http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/

    Furthermore, you don't need much knowledge of HTML to have fun with
    asp.net. Just copy/paste the html and tweak the code. The more code you
    learn, the more html you will pick up.

    --
    Happy Coding!
    Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

    Morten Wennevik, Sep 15, 2006

  3. Tony Girgenti

    Mike Lowery Guest

    In some respects, ASP.Net can be viewed as an addition to HTML. You can't have
    the prior without the latter. Why? Because browsers only understand HTML and
    ASP.Net must generate brower-compatible HTML.

    If you can learn a programming language you should be able to learn HTML fairly
    quickly.

    Mike Lowery, Sep 15, 2006