Congratulations to Karl Seguin on his Ajax article published at MSDN!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Juan T. Llibre, Nov 5, 2005.

  1. Juan T. Llibre, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    My mum used to use Ajax to clean our toilet when I was a kid, but I dont
    think they sell it anymore

    ;-D

    Seriously though. This looks like a great article, it must be pretty good to
    get published on MSDN. Just out of interest, how does one get an article
    publshed there ?

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005

  3. Juan T. Llibre

    Chris Botha Guest

    Hahaa - that's exactly what I thought when I saw the name for the first time
    and I was wondering if the name was a cleaner product in other parts of the
    world as well. We were living in South Africa then, where in the world did
    your mom use it? I don't know if it is a North American product (haven't
    seen it on the racks, but then I don't shop for cleaner products all that
    often).

    Chris Botha, Nov 5, 2005
  4. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    I noticed your name earlier and thought ( My god it may be a relation to the
    old president of South Africa ).

    ;-D

    Actually, Im from the UK and Ajax used to be sold in a round canister made
    of cardboard with a metal top which you could shake the powder from. ( It
    allways reminded me of ant powder ).

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  5. re:
    > how does one get an article publshed there ?

    You submit it for publication, of course.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/aboutmsdn/submit/

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 5, 2005
  6. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Here it is, a bit more up to date than I remember it though !

    http://www.drugstore.com/qxp72645_333181_sespider/ajax/cleanser_with_bleach.htm

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  7. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    It may come as some suprise, but I did realise that it would take more than
    telepathy.

    Thanks for the link

    ;-D

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  8. Actually, Mr. N, Ajax used to come in the same container in the wild,
    undisciplined U.S. back when we were both kids (you and I) on opposite sides
    of the Atlantic.

    At least I now have some idea of your age! ;-)

    --

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 5, 2005
  9. Excellent Article! Added to my Favorites!

    --

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 5, 2005
  10. Juan T. Llibre

    Guest

    "Billions and billions".........................
    , Nov 5, 2005
  11. Juan T. Llibre

    Mark Rae Guest

    > Great Ajax for ASP.NET article!

    One of the best technical articles I've seen for ages!
    Mark Rae, Nov 5, 2005
  12. why dont you write something?

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 5, 2005
  13. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Oh, well. I would John, but I feel dwarfed by greatness. I'm really only a
    beginner compared to many of the experts who tread these hallowed halls.

    Perhaps when I get a little more familiar with the technology I will take a
    stab at putting something useful together and sumbitting it.

    Until then, I'm afraid I will be doing the reading rather than the writing.

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  14. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Yes, unfortunately I have crossed the awful border this year into ( Damn I
    can hardly say it out loud ), OK OK, I'm forty years old now and what of it
    ????

    The secret is out I'm a sixties baby. Probably explains why I have
    hallucinations as my parents were both hippies.

    Only Kidding about the 'Hippies'.

    Having said that, I watched an interesting documentary on Genetics yesterday
    and It would appear from recent studies that DNA chromosomes which can be
    turned on or off by traumatic events like poisenous gas, pesticides + other
    causes like infection can get transferred to our offspring rather than them
    starting off with a clean genetic slate.

    It appears we are custodians of our future generations genetic inheritance
    due to the things we experience in the present. For example, famine in
    generation One can have an affect in generation Five and mothers can send
    genetic chemical signals to prevent growth in the later stages of pregnancy
    if the baby is getting to big for the opening.

    Interesting Stuff !!

    --
    Best Regards

    The Inimitable Mr Newbie º¿º

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  15. Just think about how much work it takes to do an article, and how much you
    would learn, and then transpose that information into something useful for
    others at a level that othes can understand. By writing, you have to take
    the time out to reserch your subject, which in itself is a great learning
    curve for beginners. The trick is find a subject your interested in about
    the technology - like an insight into the new breadcrumb control, or
    web.config explained.

    All of the people who spend time in these groups helping out started as
    beginners, and msot of them at some time started that bit of research that
    led to a good article. I'm going to look forward to seeing yours up there
    some day. :0)

    John Timney \( MVP \), Nov 5, 2005
  16. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    John,

    What you are saying is of course very true. As you point out research is a
    key element, and writing about the subject does greatly assist learning, as
    it cements ones new knowledge, by fusing action with experience, thus giving
    the engrams an extra anchor to keep them firmly locked into the noggin.

    I feel though, that the really good writers are able give their work spatial
    volume as well as detail. This is only possible if one has an excellent
    grasp of not only the subject, but that which surrounds it.

    I do look forward to the day that I will be able to post something worth
    while, and perhaps when this day comes you would be willing to do an
    editorial review on my work ?

    I have included a pair of editors glasses below for such an event ( I hope
    they fit ).

    O^O

    ;-D

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  17. Juan T. Llibre

    Chris Botha Guest

    No relation, mine is the second most common last name there.
    I guess that figures, SA was a British colony, same kind of sports, cricket,
    rugby, etc, cardboard AJAX (I want to say green) and do I miss a good plate
    of fish and chips.

    Chris Botha, Nov 5, 2005
  18. Juan T. Llibre

    Mr Newbie Guest

    Well, dont deny yourself the fish and chips, just dont sprinkle and Ajax on
    them !

    :-D

    Mr Newbie, Nov 5, 2005
  19. Juan T. Llibre

    Karl Seguin Guest

    I have a tendency to miss threads about myself :)

    Thanks all for the comments :)

    About the name "Ajax", I hope everyone noted how the article ended

    " Now, let's prove that the ASP.NET community is second to none, and let's
    clean house. "

    This was meant as a double pun on both the cleaner ajax (clean house) and
    the greek character Ajax (second to none)

    karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/