    Any ideas as to why? I set up a connection using Jet 4.0 and I'm able to
    open the database from within VC#.

    Thanks for any help!
    Mohammed AlQuraishi, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Hi,

    I think the problem is the ASPNET user permision.
    Please refer the following link.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q316675

    --
    Let me know if you need further help

    Regards
    Sreejumon[MVP]
    www.mstechzone.com

    "Mohammed AlQuraishi" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to connect to an MS Access database using ADO.NET and C#, but

    I'm
    > getting the dreaded "Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file

    'x'.

    Sreejumon[MVP], Aug 7, 2003

  3. P.S. I tried setting impersonation to true and now I'm getting an
    "unspecified error"... It still doesn't work :(

    Mohammed AlQuraishi, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Mohammed AlQuraishi

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Sounds like a permissions problem.

    If the .mdb file is located on the same machine as the webserver, give the
    ASPNet user account Read/Write NTFS permissions to the folder that the .mdb
    file is in, and the Creator/Owner user Full Control.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Mohammed AlQuraishi" <> wrote in message
    : Hi all,
    :
    Ken Schaefer, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Well I did set impersonation to true, which, if what I gathered from the
    document is correct, ought to be sufficient to resolve the problem. However,
    I am getting a new error now, namely "Unspecific error has occurred"...

    Any ideas? Thank you very much!

    Mohammed AlQuraishi, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Well I have an dbOleConnection object set at design time to:

    Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="";User ID=Admin;Data
    Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Flows\db1.mdb;Mode=ReadWrite|Share Deny
    None;Extended Properties="";Jet OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry
    Path="";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet
    OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet
    OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet
    OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet
    OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica
    Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False

    And my dummy function simply tries to open the oleDbConnection object by
    invoking the Open method. That's it.

    This is the error I'm getting:

    Server Error in '/Flows' Application.
    ----

    Unspecified error

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified error

    Source Error:

    Line 62: private void Button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    Line 63: {
    Line 64: oleDbConnection1.Open();
    Line 65: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataReader myReader =
    oleDbCommand1.ExecuteReader();
    Line 66: while (myReader.Read())

    Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\flows\webform1.aspx.cs Line: 64

    Stack Trace:

    [OleDbException (0x80004005): Unspecified error]
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider()
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
    Flows.WebForm1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\flows\webform1.aspx.cs:64
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
    stBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    sourceControl, String eventArgument)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

    Thanks again for any help!

    Mohammed AlQuraishi, Aug 7, 2003
  7. You've got to be kidding me! That's all I had to do!!!!

    Why on earth do they make it so difficult? Such a simple task and it took me
    a whole day! Wow thank you very much! Really appreciate the help!!!

    Mohammed

    "Ken Schaefer" <> wrote in message
    > You may need to disable "Simple File Sharing"
    >
    > Open an Explorer Window, got Tools -> Folder Options -> Scroll down to the
    > button -> Uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing"
    >
    > Then, when you right-click ona folder, you should have a "security"

    option
    > now where you can set NTFS permissions (assuming that your drive is
    > formatting NTFS, not FAT32).
    >
    > Cheers
    > Ken
    >

    > "Mohammed AlQuraishi" <> wrote in message
    > : Yes it is in fact on the same machine, but I'm running XP Pro, so the
    > : permissions should already be taken care of, no? If not where do I

    change

    Mohammed AlQuraishi, Aug 7, 2003