"Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2008.

  1. Greetings,

    I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

    I have an XP laptop, and a Vista desktop computer. I use the laptop to run
    software remotely on the desktop using the Remote Desktop Connection
    software.

    Everything is working just fine. However, whenever I run an ASP.NET Website
    project in Visual Studio, the browser pops up a "Connect to localhost"
    dialog box and I have to re-enter my Vista password. Although this dialog
    includes a "Remember my password" checkbox, no matter what I do I must
    re-enter my password every time I run a Website project.

    I would love to find a way to prevent this dialog box from showing.

    Does anyone have any clever ideas?

    Thanks.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming
    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2008

  2. Jonathan Wood

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    http://www.mesh.com
    Jeff Dillon, Sep 16, 2008

  3. Thanks for the very terse response. However, what appears to be some sort of
    file-synchronization software is hardly going to assist me in running
    applications that reside on another computer.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2008
  4. Jonathan Wood

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    Thanks for the very terse response. However, what appears to be some sort of
    > file-synchronization software is hardly going to assist me in running
    > applications that reside on another computer.
    >
    > --
    > Jonathan Wood
    > SoftCircuits Programming
    > http://www.softcircuits.com
    >
    > "Jeff Dillon" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have an XP laptop, and a Vista desktop computer. I use the laptop to
    >>> run
    >>> software remotely on the desktop using the Remote Desktop Connection
    >>> software.
    >>>
    >>> Everything is working just fine. However, whenever I run an ASP.NET
    >>> Website
    >>> project in Visual Studio, the browser pops up a "Connect to localhost"
    >>> dialog box and I have to re-enter my Vista password. Although this
    >>> dialog
    >>> includes a "Remember my password" checkbox, no matter what I do I must
    >>> re-enter my password every time I run a Website project.
    >>>
    >>> I would love to find a way to prevent this dialog box from showing.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any clever ideas?

    >> http://www.mesh.com

    Actually it works better than remote desktop for me. It's far more than
    file-sync. It's remote control, and works even through proxy servers. I use
    it here at MS daily. I can connect to my home machine while at work, and
    vice versa.

    Oh, and b. m.
    Jeff Dillon, Sep 16, 2008
  5. I realize what you are thinking, but Mesh is an option. It is more than just
    file sharing. You can also run a computer remotely. Unlike RDC, you are
    actually logging into the machine. The downside is if someone is setting
    next to the machine, and the monitor is on, they can see everything you are
    doing. It also works through a web client, so it is not necessarily the best
    option.

    I have never seen the RDC issue. Are you logging into console on the
    machine?

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 16, 2008
  6. >I realize what you are thinking, but Mesh is an option. It is more than
    >just file sharing. You can also run a computer remotely. Unlike RDC, you
    >are actually logging into the machine. The downside is if someone is
    >setting next to the machine, and the monitor is on, they can see everything
    >you are doing. It also works through a web client, so it is not necessarily
    >the best option.

    Yeah, it's interesting to know about. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I want to
    install SilverLight, which I apparently need to do to learn more about Mesh.
    And my guess is that it is some sort of deal where you pay a montly fee.
    That just doesn't seem rlike the best option for interfacing with a computer
    in the other room.

    > I have never seen the RDC issue. Are you logging into console on the
    > machine?

    I log onto the machine and am using Visual Studio, which is installed on
    that other machine. Then when I run an ASP.NET project on it, I get the
    dialog box and must enter the same password I use to log on in the first
    place.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Wood, Sep 16, 2008
  7. Jonathan Wood

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    It's free, and doesn't require Silverlight. And it doesn't have to run in a
    web browser, there is a free client you can download.

    Jeff Dillon, Sep 16, 2008
  8. Jeff,

    > It's free, and doesn't require Silverlight. And it doesn't have to run in
    > a web browser, there is a free client you can download.

    My comment about Silverlight is that it's required to get more information
    about Mesh. I'd like to get more information about Mesh because I don't
    quite get exactly what it is, and can't even imagine how it could be free.
    And, of course, if it can do what RDC does, it might still popup the same
    dialog box.

    So I'm not inclined to just install it yet, but I will try to find out more
    about it and see if it would work for me.

    Thanks for the info.

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 17, 2008
  9. Absolutely free and destined to stay so for the time being. I think we may
    see some add ons (that have a cost) at PDC, but I have no confirmation. I
    can see it working with terminal services, Live Meeting, etc., but I can
    only suggest and wait. :)

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 17, 2008
  10. Fortunately, it installs and uninstalls without issue (had it on one box I
    did not want to use it on). The way it works is through port 80 and it is a
    pull, not a push (ie, the local machine makes the connection). I use it now
    to sync files between my desktop and laptop. Forgot to get some files when I
    went to Louisville and I simply logged into my home computer and dragged
    them into the Mesh.

    I am thinking about a video (will You Tube it and attach to my blog). I will
    post when I add it so you can see. Not sure if I will have time tomorrow,
    but most likely some time this week.

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 17, 2008
  11. More file syncing? How much have you used it like RDC?

    BTW, on the dialog box I get (the subject of this thread), if I connect from
    my laptop and run Visual Studio, and then turn off the laptop and use my
    desktop directly, I still get that dialog when I'm using the computer
    directly until I restart Visual Studio. I bring it up because I still wonder
    if Mesh would change that.

    Thanks for the info.

    --
    Jonathan Wood
    SoftCircuits Programming

    message news:%...

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 17, 2008
  12. Jonathan Wood

    Jeff Dillon Guest

    I never use RDC anymore after using Mesh. Everyone I've recommended it to
    uses it exclusively now also. Gee, perhaps I should work for mesh marketing!

    But back to the original question. I just connected to my home machine via
    Mesh from here at work, and ran Visual Studio 2008 (I don't have 2005), and
    ran a web project just fine. I did "Run as administrator" when launching VS.

    Jeff

    Jeff Dillon, Sep 17, 2008
  13. Thanks for the info. So far I've been unable to find anyone who gets the
    same dialog using RDC. So it's hard to be sure what the heck any of this
    means.

    My plan is to look into Mesh, but I'd really like to figure out what this
    other issue is first.

    Jonathan Wood, Sep 24, 2008