"Connect to localhost" Dialog Running Remote Website

Jonathan Wood

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this.

I have an XP laptop, and a Vista desktop computer. I use the laptop to run
software remotely on the desktop using the Remote Desktop Connection
software.

Everything is working just fine. However, whenever I run an ASP.NET Website
project in Visual Studio, the browser pops up a "Connect to localhost"
dialog box and I have to re-enter my Vista password. Although this dialog
includes a "Remember my password" checkbox, no matter what I do I must
re-enter my password every time I run a Website project.

I would love to find a way to prevent this dialog box from showing.

Does anyone have any clever ideas?

Thanks.

Jeff Dillon

I have an XP laptop, and a Vista desktop computer. I use the laptop to run
software remotely on the desktop using the Remote Desktop Connection
software.

Everything is working just fine. However, whenever I run an ASP.NET
Website
project in Visual Studio, the browser pops up a "Connect to localhost"
dialog box and I have to re-enter my Vista password. Although this dialog
includes a "Remember my password" checkbox, no matter what I do I must
re-enter my password every time I run a Website project.

I would love to find a way to prevent this dialog box from showing.

Does anyone have any clever ideas?

http://www.mesh.com

Jonathan Wood

Thanks for the very terse response. However, what appears to be some sort of
file-synchronization software is hardly going to assist me in running
applications that reside on another computer.

Jeff Dillon

Thanks for the very terse response. However, what appears to be some sort of
file-synchronization software is hardly going to assist me in running
applications that reside on another computer.

Actually it works better than remote desktop for me. It's far more than
file-sync. It's remote control, and works even through proxy servers. I use
it here at MS daily. I can connect to my home machine while at work, and
vice versa.

Oh, and b. m.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I realize what you are thinking, but Mesh is an option. It is more than just
file sharing. You can also run a computer remotely. Unlike RDC, you are
actually logging into the machine. The downside is if someone is setting
next to the machine, and the monitor is on, they can see everything you are
doing. It also works through a web client, so it is not necessarily the best
option.

I have never seen the RDC issue. Are you logging into console on the
machine?

Jonathan Wood

I realize what you are thinking, but Mesh is an option. It is more than
just file sharing. You can also run a computer remotely. Unlike RDC, you
are actually logging into the machine. The downside is if someone is
setting next to the machine, and the monitor is on, they can see everything
you are doing. It also works through a web client, so it is not necessarily
the best option.

Yeah, it's interesting to know about. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I want to
install SilverLight, which I apparently need to do to learn more about Mesh.
And my guess is that it is some sort of deal where you pay a montly fee.
That just doesn't seem rlike the best option for interfacing with a computer
in the other room.
I have never seen the RDC issue. Are you logging into console on the
machine?

I log onto the machine and am using Visual Studio, which is installed on
that other machine. Then when I run an ASP.NET project on it, I get the
dialog box and must enter the same password I use to log on in the first
place.

Jonathan

Jeff Dillon

It's free, and doesn't require Silverlight. And it doesn't have to run in a
web browser, there is a free client you can download.

Jonathan Wood

Jeff,
It's free, and doesn't require Silverlight. And it doesn't have to run in
a web browser, there is a free client you can download.

My comment about Silverlight is that it's required to get more information
about Mesh. I'd like to get more information about Mesh because I don't
quite get exactly what it is, and can't even imagine how it could be free.
And, of course, if it can do what RDC does, it might still popup the same
dialog box.

So I'm not inclined to just install it yet, but I will try to find out more
about it and see if it would work for me.

Thanks for the info.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Absolutely free and destined to stay so for the time being. I think we may
see some add ons (that have a cost) at PDC, but I have no confirmation. I
can see it working with terminal services, Live Meeting, etc., but I can
only suggest and wait. :)

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Fortunately, it installs and uninstalls without issue (had it on one box I
did not want to use it on). The way it works is through port 80 and it is a
pull, not a push (ie, the local machine makes the connection). I use it now
to sync files between my desktop and laptop. Forgot to get some files when I
went to Louisville and I simply logged into my home computer and dragged
them into the Mesh.

I am thinking about a video (will You Tube it and attach to my blog). I will
post when I add it so you can see. Not sure if I will have time tomorrow,
but most likely some time this week.

Jonathan Wood

More file syncing? How much have you used it like RDC?

BTW, on the dialog box I get (the subject of this thread), if I connect from
my laptop and run Visual Studio, and then turn off the laptop and use my
desktop directly, I still get that dialog when I'm using the computer
directly until I restart Visual Studio. I bring it up because I still wonder
if Mesh would change that.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff Dillon

I never use RDC anymore after using Mesh. Everyone I've recommended it to
uses it exclusively now also. Gee, perhaps I should work for mesh marketing!

But back to the original question. I just connected to my home machine via
Mesh from here at work, and ran Visual Studio 2008 (I don't have 2005), and
ran a web project just fine. I did "Run as administrator" when launching VS.

Jeff

Jonathan Wood

Thanks for the info. So far I've been unable to find anyone who gets the
same dialog using RDC. So it's hard to be sure what the heck any of this
means.

My plan is to look into Mesh, but I'd really like to figure out what this
other issue is first.