connect to the data source with or without Connection object

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John Davis, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. John Davis

    John Davis Guest

    To connect the ASP application to data source, we can use ADO.Connection
    object

    Const connectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51; Data
    Source=C:\mydatabase.mdb;"
    Dim objConn
    Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open connectionString
    objRS.Open sqlStatement, objConn '----------------- (1)

    The alternative is we can open the connection directly with ADO.RecordSet
    object, without using ADO.Connection object.

    objRS.Open sqlStatement, connectionString '---------------(2)

    What's the differences between line (1) and (2)? I read a book saying using
    Connection object is expensive, but I don't got it since there is connection
    anyway by using RecordSet object.

    Please advice. Thanks
    John

    John Davis, Aug 28, 2003