Connecting Accesss to ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Des, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Des

    Des Guest

    Hi I have created in visual studio 6 an application using access 2000.
    What I want to do is to put the database and asp on a website. I have
    been told previously that I would not need to register the access
    database (which would be difficult) and place the database in the same
    fo;der as the asp pages, I need to know how to connect to the database
    as there is no DSN no username or password.

    Here is a segment of code that works localy on my own PC.

    <%
    dsn = "DSN=football"
    Set connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set rsWeeks = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    connection.Open dsn
    sqlWeeks = "SELECT * FROM Weeks ORDER BY Week"
    rsWeeks.Open sqlWeeks, connection
    %>

    Any help on this is appreaceated. Once the connection string is sorted
    then it should fall into place.

    Desmond.
    Des, Jan 9, 2006

  2. Des wrote:
    > Hi I have created in visual studio 6 an application using access 2000.
    > What I want to do is to put the database and asp on a website. I have
    > been told previously that I would not need to register the access
    > database (which would be difficult) and place the database in the same
    > fo;der as the asp pages, I need to know how to connect to the database
    > as there is no DSN no username or password.
    >

    > Here is a segment of code that works localy on my own PC.
    >

    > <%
    > dsn = "DSN=football"
    > Set connection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > Set rsWeeks = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    > connection.Open dsn
    > sqlWeeks = "SELECT * FROM Weeks ORDER BY Week"
    > rsWeeks.Open sqlWeeks, connection
    > %>
    >

    > Any help on this is appreaceated. Once the connection string is sorted
    > then it should fall into place.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    Also see this article which explains the filesystem permissions that will
    need to be set:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 9, 2006

  3. Des

    Guest

    And perhaps this may hopefully give you some ideas:

    Web Database Concept
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/concept.asp

    This is something I put together about ASP that hopefully might help
    somehow.

    Best regards,
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips
    , Jan 9, 2006