connecting to a cifs or windows share on a nas device using a specificusername and password

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Carl, Dec 27, 2007.

  1. Carl

    Carl Guest

    In ASP.Net, how can we connect to a nas that uses cifs for its file
    sharing protocol. Currently we should be able to provide the ip address
    or hostname of the nas, the sharename along with any directories to go
    directly into that sharename, and the username and password. This
    username and password will not be on the server hosting the asp.net
    pages from the local usernames and password.

    Currently we can only try to impersonate a local username and password
    that is already on the local server. What we want to do is normally
    when trying to connect to a windows share, it tries your normal username
    and password, and if that doesn't work, it asks for a username and
    password. Rather we want to be able to access it by telling it what
    username and password to use like you can with mounting a drive letter.

    The server is windows 2003. The nas might also be part of a domain, but
    if it's not and we can only put in just the username instead of the
    domainname/username, that's fine too.

    It is the dotnet 2.0 framework we are using here. We'd rather not use
    3.0 right now.

    Carl, Dec 27, 2007