Datum: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:10:41 +0900
Von: Kory Woods <[email protected]>
An: (e-mail address removed)
Betreff: Connecting to a Windows share from a Windows computer
We have two separate servers running Windows Server 2003, and what we
need to do is simply copy files from a share on one of the computers to
the other, the computers share a domain. I assume there is some simple
library that I can't find and was hoping someone could share that with
me. If necessary, I will be able to provide more information or let you
know if it's working tonight around 1 AM CDT.

Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I choose the wrong topic in which
to post this.

Dear Kory,

just guessing here:

maybe win32-service from

http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/ can do what you want.

Best regards,

Axel

Kory Woods

Axel said:
-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Dear Kory,

just guessing here:

maybe win32-service from

http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/ can do what you want.

Best regards,

Axel

Thanks Axel, I did check that out, but couldn't find anything that could
do what I wanted. Per your suggestion, I will look into it more.
Thanks for the reply!

Björn Andersson

Hi!

Have you tried to just copy it using the normal UNC path?
\\server1\mountpoint\otherfile -> \\server2\mountpoint\yourfile.txt
If you need to authenticate to the servers use the "net use" command
and mount the network shares as local drives and unmount them when the
copy is done.

Not really a ruby specific answer but maybe something. :)

/Bj=F6rn

We have two separate servers running Windows Server 2003, and what we
need to do is simply copy files from a share on one of the computers to
the other, the computers share a domain. I assume there is some simple
library that I can't find and was hoping someone could share that with
me. If necessary, I will be able to provide more information or let you
know if it's working tonight around 1 AM CDT.

Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I choose the wrong topic in which
to post this.

--=20
"Beauty is more important in computing than anywhere else in technology
because software is so complicated. Beauty is the ultimate defense
against complexity."
-- David Gelernter, Machine Beauty:
Elegance and the Heart of Technology

Kory Woods

Björn Andersson said:
Hi!

Have you tried to just copy it using the normal UNC path?
\\server1\mountpoint\otherfile -> \\server2\mountpoint\yourfile.txt
If you need to authenticate to the servers use the "net use" command
and mount the network shares as local drives and unmount them when the
copy is done.

Not really a ruby specific answer but maybe something. :)

/Bj�rn

Thanks very much for the reply, I'll give the first part a go, but have
a question: can it work with directories (\\server1\mountpoint\* ->
\\server2\infodate\ as well as files, and what is the method call for
which I'd be looking?

I'll definitely try/look into this deeper, though. Thanks a lot Björn!

Kory Woods

Thank you greatly Björn, your advice is priceless, even if it's not
exactly ruby :), thanks for getting me back on track and making me do a
little research on my own :D.

Also, thank you Axel for your response, as it would have come in a great
deal of use just a few days ago.

Bill Walton

Hi Kory,

Kory said:
We have two separate servers running Windows Server
2003, and what we need to do is simply copy files from
a share on one of the computers to the other, the computers
share a domain.

Assuming you're talking about doing this in the context of Rails, or at
least Ruby, you might take a look at Ruby's open-uri library.

HTH,
Bill

Kory Woods

Thanks everyone for all your help, I managed to resolve it using mostly
Björn's suggestions using essentially a few MSDOS commands within a ruby
method. This is a nice community you guys have going here, hope I can
be the helper someday, and be sure to stop by once in a while. If
anyone is interested, I'll post what I came up with tomorrow morning,
CDT. Thanks again everyone!