    know if it's working tonight around 1 AM CDT.

    Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I choose the wrong topic in which
    to post this.
    Kory Woods, Jul 13, 2008

  2. Kory Woods

    Axel Etzold Guest

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    > Datum: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:10:41 +0900
    > Von: Kory Woods <>
    > Betreff: Connecting to a Windows share from a Windows computer

    > We have two separate servers running Windows Server 2003, and what we
    > need to do is simply copy files from a share on one of the computers to
    > the other, the computers share a domain. I assume there is some simple
    > library that I can't find and was hoping someone could share that with
    > me. If necessary, I will be able to provide more information or let you
    > know if it's working tonight around 1 AM CDT.
    >
    > Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I choose the wrong topic in which
    > to post this.

    Dear Kory,

    just guessing here:

    maybe win32-service from

    http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/ can do what you want.

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Axel Etzold, Jul 13, 2008

  3. Kory Woods

    Kory Woods Guest

    Axel Etzold wrote:
    > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    >> Datum: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 05:10:41 +0900
    >> Von: Kory Woods <>
    >> Betreff: Connecting to a Windows share from a Windows computer

    > Dear Kory,
    >
    > just guessing here:
    >
    > maybe win32-service from
    >
    > http://win32utils.rubyforge.org/ can do what you want.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Axel

    Thanks Axel, I did check that out, but couldn't find anything that could
    do what I wanted. Per your suggestion, I will look into it more.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Kory Woods, Jul 14, 2008
  4. Hi!

    Have you tried to just copy it using the normal UNC path?
    \\server1\mountpoint\otherfile -> \\server2\mountpoint\yourfile.txt
    If you need to authenticate to the servers use the "net use" command
    and mount the network shares as local drives and unmount them when the
    copy is done.

    Not really a ruby specific answer but maybe something. :)

    /Bj=F6rn

    On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Kory Woods <> wrote:
    > We have two separate servers running Windows Server 2003, and what we
    > need to do is simply copy files from a share on one of the computers to
    > the other, the computers share a domain. I assume there is some simple
    > library that I can't find and was hoping someone could share that with
    > me. If necessary, I will be able to provide more information or let you
    > know if it's working tonight around 1 AM CDT.
    >
    > Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I choose the wrong topic in which
    > to post this.

    --=20
    "Beauty is more important in computing than anywhere else in technology
    because software is so complicated. Beauty is the ultimate defense
    against complexity."
    -- David Gelernter, Machine Beauty:
    Elegance and the Heart of Technology
    Björn Andersson, Jul 14, 2008
  5. Kory Woods

    Kory Woods Guest

    Björn Andersson wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Have you tried to just copy it using the normal UNC path?
    > \\server1\mountpoint\otherfile -> \\server2\mountpoint\yourfile.txt
    > If you need to authenticate to the servers use the "net use" command
    > and mount the network shares as local drives and unmount them when the
    > copy is done.
    >
    > Not really a ruby specific answer but maybe something. :)
    >
    > /Bj�rn

    Thanks very much for the reply, I'll give the first part a go, but have
    a question: can it work with directories (\\server1\mountpoint\* ->
    \\server2\infodate\ as well as files, and what is the method call for
    which I'd be looking?

    I'll definitely try/look into this deeper, though. Thanks a lot Björn!
    Kory Woods, Jul 14, 2008
  6. Kory Woods

    Kory Woods Guest

    Thank you greatly Björn, your advice is priceless, even if it's not
    exactly ruby :), thanks for getting me back on track and making me do a
    little research on my own :D.

    Also, thank you Axel for your response, as it would have come in a great
    deal of use just a few days ago.
    Kory Woods, Jul 14, 2008
  7. Kory Woods

    Bill Walton Guest

    Hi Kory,

    Kory Woods wrote:

    > We have two separate servers running Windows Server
    > 2003, and what we need to do is simply copy files from
    > a share on one of the computers to the other, the computers
    > share a domain.

    Assuming you're talking about doing this in the context of Rails, or at
    least Ruby, you might take a look at Ruby's open-uri library.

    HTH,
    Bill
    Bill Walton, Jul 14, 2008
  8. Kory Woods

    Kory Woods Guest

    Thanks everyone for all your help, I managed to resolve it using mostly
    Björn's suggestions using essentially a few MSDOS commands within a ruby
    method. This is a nice community you guys have going here, hope I can
    be the helper someday, and be sure to stop by once in a while. If
    anyone is interested, I'll post what I came up with tomorrow morning,
    CDT. Thanks again everyone!
    Kory Woods, Jul 14, 2008