Connecting to an existing MATLAB COM server from python

Srinath Avadhanula

Hello,

I wanted to connect to an already existing MATLAB application from
python.

From the MATHWORKS documentation at:

http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/matlab_external/ch07cl24.html

I see that to connect to an already existing MATLAB application, I
have to do the equivalent of the following Visual Basic code:

h = GetObject(, "matlab.application")

Note It is important to use the syntax shown above to connect
with an existing MATLAB automation server. Omit the first argument,
and make sure that the second argument reads exactly as shown.

My question is, how do I replicate this from python? I tried the
following:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program_Files\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py",
line 71, in GetObject
return GetActiveObject(Class, clsctx)
File "C:\Program_Files\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py",
line 80, in GetActiveObject
dispatch = pythoncom.GetActiveObject(resultCLSID)
com_error: (-2147221021, 'Operation unavailable', None, None)

I tried searching for relevant things in Google, but couldn't find
anything close to this. I also read the docstring of
win32com.client.GetObject, but couldn't figure out the equivalent.

I already know how to start a new MATLAB COM Server. Something like

works fine. But I specifically want to connect to an existing server.

Srinath