Connecting to existing remote project

Jerad Rose

Hello,

I have searched all over for the answer to this, to no avail. I have a web
project already set up and running on a remote server, that I created from
my home computer. I am now trying to connect to it from my work computer,
but cannot figure out how to set up the project.

Here are the various methods I've already tried:

1) When I try Open > Project From Web, I type in the URL, and then it
prompts me for a project to open, locally. The problem is, I don't have a
project set up locally -- that's what I'm trying to do.

2) When I try New > Project > Empty Web Project, I type in the URL (for
Location), it tells me "There is already a project created on the Web" --
which makes sense.

3) When I try New > Project > New Project In Existing Folder, I give it a
project name, then tell it the URL, then it tells me "Cannot create the
project. There is already a project with the name '/myproject.vbproj' on the
Web 'http://myproject.com'."

4) So, I tried copying the project files from the server to my local
machine, and then tried opening the project, or pointing the prompt from
method #1 (above) to the copied project file, but it then tells me "Unable
to open Web project '/'. The file path '<path to project file>' does not
correspond to the URL 'http://Localhost:'. The two need to map to the same
server location. HTTP Error 404: Object Not Found".

So I'm stumped. What the heck am I doing wrong, and why am I not finding
any info on this?

Please relieve me of my frustration -- I would be very much appreciative!

Thanks in advance.

Jerad Rose

For the benefit of those that have this similar problem, I have found the
solution.

You have to do option 1, which is to open the project from web. Then, type
in the URL to the web site (http://www.mywebsite.com) WITHOUT the last slash
on the end. Then, it will prompt you for the project file. It will
probably default to a local folder. Here, you have to type the full URL of
the project file -- for example:

http://www.mywebsite.com/myproject.vbproj

Hope this will come in handy for somebody down the road.