connecting to NNTP server with Perl

Nikola Skoric

Hello everybody,

I'm writting a script which has to retrieve some information from NNTP
server and insert it into MySQL server. I'm not familiar to Perl, and
have just started learning it, but I have expirience in C, C# and PHP
programing, so I have figured out the database part of the job, but I
can't figure out how to connect to NNTP server form Perl. I have to
connect, do a few commands and retrieve the data server returns. I'm
familliar with NNTP protocol, so what wanted to ask is how to open a
connection to news server and comunisate with it? I need RTFM directions
:) Where do I start? Which Perl module do I look at to find necessary
functions?

If I my questions are confusing, I'll be glad to be more speciffic :)
Thanks in advance.

Randal L. Schwartz

Nikola> Where do I start? Which Perl module do I look at to find necessary
Nikola> functions?

1) Install Net::NNTP
2) "perldoc Net::NNTP"
3) For examples of usage, Go to google, type:

site:stonehenge.com "Net::NNTP"

in the search box. Or leave the first part out if you don't want
to look at the 3 of my 180+ articles that use it.

print "Just another Perl column hacker,"

Gerard Lanois

Nikola Skoric said:
Hello everybody,

I'm writting a script which has to retrieve some information from NNTP
server and insert it into MySQL server. I'm not familiar to Perl, and
have just started learning it, but I have expirience in C, C# and PHP
programing, so I have figured out the database part of the job, but I
can't figure out how to connect to NNTP server form Perl. I have to
connect, do a few commands and retrieve the data server returns. I'm
familliar with NNTP protocol, so what wanted to ask is how to open a
connection to news server and comunisate with it? I need RTFM directions
:) Where do I start? Which Perl module do I look at to find necessary
functions?

If I my questions are confusing, I'll be glad to be more speciffic :)
Thanks in advance.

You need the Net::NNTP module. Everything you need is in there.

-Gerard
http://home.san.rr.com/lanois/perl/

Nikola Skoric

Dana Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:24:37 GMT,
(e-mail address removed) kaze:
Nikola> Where do I start? Which Perl module do I look at to find necessary
Nikola> functions?

1) Install Net::NNTP
2) "perldoc Net::NNTP"

Now, *that's* what I needed :) Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tad McClellan

Nikola Skoric said:
Dana Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:24:37 GMT,
(e-mail address removed) kaze:

search.cpan.org

Then enter "NNTP" in the little box.

Now, *that's* what I needed :)

You've already been given a fish, but you should learn how to
catch fish yourself too.