Connection closed exception

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Simon, Dec 24, 2004.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    I'm having some difficulties with a Web Service I am developing.

    The following exception occurred when I moved the Web Service from my
    development machine (Win XP SP2 VS.NET 2003) to a test server
    (Win 2003 IIS 6):

    - System.InvalidOperationException

    Message: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error
    occurred on a receive.

    The original exception is:

    - System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception {System.Net.Sockets.SocketException}

    Message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote
    host
    Native code: 50004

    The exception does not occur right away but after about 3 minutes of
    processing

    After searching through this group I found that it might have something
    to do with the KeepAlive settings of the WebRequest.
    I did override the GetWebRequest method to make sure that KeepAlive was
    set to false but it did not fix the problem.

    We use ISA Server 2000 as a Proxy and the proxy settings on the client
    are set to bypass the proxy for the server name and the server address.

    IIS does not seem to realize that an exception occurred since it
    continues processing the request.

    I now think that two things could cause this exception is caused by ISA
    Server, forcibly closing the connection after some preset timeout.

    If it is the case where is this setting for this in ISA Server ?
    Simon
    Simon, Dec 24, 2004

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Thanks to to good poeple at Microsoft, I found the solution.

    It was simply due to the connection tomeout improperly set in the
    virtual directory.

    It was set to a value higher then 65535 seconds which is the upper
    limit and defaulted to 120 seconds.

    Unfortunatly you can only know the value is invalid when you look at
    the event log after restarting IIS.

    Simon
    Simon, Jan 18, 2005