connection.execute = asynchronous process ??

Jill Graham

Hi,

I'm using an access database and found following problem :

I have a table X with 2 records : record 1 & record 2. I execute following
procedure with 2 steps :
1. The procedure deletes records 1 : connection.execute "delete from X
record 1"
2. The procedure adds record 1 again using the recordset object.

Result : nothing happens !
I have the feeling that the "delete" statement is executed AFTER the "add
record" statement. Or the "delete" statement did not finish before the
start of the "add record" statement (= asyncrhonous processing).

Can somebody explain me this behavior ?
I have this problem only when using a MS Access database and not with an MS
SQL database.

Jill

Dan Brussee

Hi,

I'm using an access database and found following problem :

I have a table X with 2 records : record 1 & record 2. I execute following
procedure with 2 steps :
1. The procedure deletes records 1 : connection.execute "delete from X
record 1"
2. The procedure adds record 1 again using the recordset object.

Result : nothing happens !
I have the feeling that the "delete" statement is executed AFTER the "add
record" statement. Or the "delete" statement did not finish before the
start of the "add record" statement (= asyncrhonous processing).

Can somebody explain me this behavior ?
I have this problem only when using a MS Access database and not with an MS
SQL database.

Jill

I think your going to have to explain this a little better. You say
you use Access, but also refer to a procedure. Is the Procedure
something in ASP?

Step 1: conn.execute "DELETE FROM X Where ID = 1"
Step 2: conn.execute "INSERT INTO X (a,b,c) VALUES (1,2,3)"

This kind of thing should work. The normal action of the connection
object is NOT asynchronous, so I doubt that is your problem.

When you say nothing happens, does the first record get deleted? Does
the new record not get added?

Jill Graham

Hi Dan,

Correct, this is a procedure in ASP

Table X has two records : ID = 1 and ID = 2

The procedure is as follows :
Step 1: conn.execute "DELETE FROM X Where ID = 1"
Step 2: rs.open "table X", <options>
rs.addNew
rs("ID") = 1
rs.update
rs.close

Result of the procedure : the record is deleted (step 1) but step 2 has no effect.

When I replace step 2 with following statement : conn.execute "INSERT INTO X (ID) VALUES (1)", then everything works fine.

Why doesn't the recordset work ?

Ray at

Is there an On Error Resume Next in your code? If not, what does your real
code look like?

Ray at work