Connection limits, HTTP keep-alives, and debuging

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Rae, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. Mark Rae

    Mark Rae Guest

    Hi,

    Development machine is:

    AMD dual-core 64-bit Athlon
    4Gb RAM
    2 x 160Gb SATA hard drives
    WinXP Pro + SP2 and all the latest patches
    Visual Studio.NET 2005
    SQL Server 2005 developer edition

    Recently, after a serious bit of cross-browser / cross-platform testing, I
    encountered an error telling me that there too many concurrent connections.
    Was slightly puzzled by this, as there's just me using this machine, but a
    trawl round Google revealed that the problem was due to having enabled (or,
    rather, not having disabled) HTTP keep-alives for the website in question. I
    disabled it, restarted IIS, and the problem went away.

    However, once the testing was finished and I moved on to the next piece of
    development, I was unable to start any sites in debug mode. Another trawl
    round Google revealed that HTTP keep-alives is required for debugging of
    ASP.NET sites through Visual Studio.NET.

    Further research revealed that IIS 5.1 (i.e. the version which comes with
    WinXP Pro) is limited by default to 10 concurrent connections, but that this
    number could be increased to a maximum of 40
    (http://www.iisanswers.com/IIS51.htm), though this is not widely advertised.

    Therefore, quick question: is it OK to increase the default number of
    maximum connections, or is there a way to allow debugging with HTTP
    keep-alives disabled?

    Any assistance gratefully received.

    Mark

    Mark Rae, Aug 11, 2006