Connection problems with irclib

Dropkick Punt

Hi. I've written a bot in python, using the irclib by Joel Rosdahl.

Works fine from my linux box at home, but when I upload it to my shell at
veritynet.net, can't seem to get it to connect to an irc server.

It doesn't report any errors.

Anyone have any idea how I might go about at least diagnosing the problem?
Any suggestions might help.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Boddie

Hi. I've written a bot in python, using the irclib by Joel Rosdahl.

Works fine from my linux box at home, but when I upload it to my shell at
veritynet.net, can't seem to get it to connect to an irc server.

It may well be the case that your hosting provider has blocked various
IRC ports and/or traffic.
It doesn't report any errors.

Anyone have any idea how I might go about at least diagnosing the problem?
Any suggestions might help.

Check your provider's usage policy and documentation.

Paul

Dropkick Punt

It may well be the case that your hosting provider has blocked various
IRC ports and/or traffic.

Thanks but no. The shell is generally used for eggdrops, and port 6667 is
open. They even installed python specifically so I could run this bot.

Cousin Stanley

Hi. I've written a bot in python,
using the irclib by Joel Rosdahl.

Works fine from my linux box at home,
but when I upload it to my shell
at veritynet.net, can't seem to get it
to connect to an irc server.

It doesn't report any errors.

Anyone have any idea how I might go about
at least diagnosing the problem?

Any suggestions might help.

Dropkick P ....

For a bit of inspiration you might take a look
at Supybot which is a Python-based irc bot ....

http://supybot.com

It's designed to run from your local machine
and connect to a remote irc server ....

I ran it from home 24/7 with virtually no problems at all
for several months from a very modest and old Compaq box
running Debian Gnu/Linux Sarge which connected via aDSL ....

A brief description from the Debian package manager ....

robust and user friendly Python IRC bot Supybot
is a robust (it doesn't crash), user friendly
(it's easy to configure) and programmer friendly
(plugins are *extremely* easy to write) Python IRC bot.
It aims to be an adequate replacement for most existing
IRC bots. It includes a very flexible and powerful ACL
system for controlling access to commands, as well as
more than 50 builtin plugins providing around 400 actual
commands.