    from another client (Mozilla) on the same network, the problem
    disappeared. So it seems the further away the client is from the
    server, the better.

    Message 6 of 7 in the enclosed URL seems to provide a programatic
    solution to this problem, though I am not that close to this aspect of
    client-server computing. Any general comments and references in this
    regard would be appreciated

    http://tinyurl.com/fx1y

    regards

    David Klemitz

    David Klemitz, Jul 3, 2003

  2. David Klemitz

    EJP Guest

    David Klemitz wrote:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > well I have found the reason for the above error by a process of
    > elimination but do not really understand what to do to handle the
    > problem gracefully.
    >
    > Basically, the error became present when I had a client ( IE 5
    > browser) and server on the same machine. When I accessed the server
    > from another client (Mozilla) on the same network, the problem
    > disappeared. So it seems the further away the client is from the
    > server, the better.

    I think the answer is the switch from MS to non-MS code. I believe that
    MS browsers have a nasty habit of resetting socket connections instead
    of closing them.

    EJP

    EJP, Jul 4, 2003