well I have found the reason for the above error by a process of
elimination but do not really understand what to do to handle the
problem gracefully.

Basically, the error became present when I had a client ( IE 5
browser) and server on the same machine. When I accessed the server
from another client (Mozilla) on the same network, the problem
disappeared. So it seems the further away the client is from the
server, the better.

Message 6 of 7 in the enclosed URL seems to provide a programatic
solution to this problem, though I am not that close to this aspect of
client-server computing. Any general comments and references in this
regard would be appreciated

http://tinyurl.com/fx1y

regards

David Klemitz

EJP

David said:
Hi Folks,

well I have found the reason for the above error by a process of
elimination but do not really understand what to do to handle the
problem gracefully.

Basically, the error became present when I had a client ( IE 5
browser) and server on the same machine. When I accessed the server
from another client (Mozilla) on the same network, the problem
disappeared. So it seems the further away the client is from the
server, the better.

I think the answer is the switch from MS to non-MS code. I believe that
MS browsers have a nasty habit of resetting socket connections instead
of closing them.

EJP