    Can anyone help?

    TIA.

    , Nov 22, 2006

  2. Mike Brind Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    >
    > I am a complete newcomer to ASP and I am trying to get around a few
    > teething problems. I would be very grateful if any of you can point me
    > in the right direction because I am tearing my hair out!
    >
    > I am using DW8 to create a simple database-driven site using IIS and
    > ASP vbscript. I have created a virtual directory in IIS and I have
    > created the DSN, connection and appropriate recordsets. The problem is
    > I keep getting the following error:
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Provider (0x80004005)
    > Unspecified error
    >
    > The line the error refers to is always the connection string. And it
    > seems to be intermittent. Sometimes the page works fine, other times I
    > get this error - but I can't figure out why. I always make sure that I
    > save my files and put them to the server so I really can't work this
    > out.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    Not without seeing the line that causes the error, and other relevant lines
    that contain the connection information. Can you post it?

    Also, while I also use DW8 for ASP sites, I do not allow it create any ASP
    code. DW is not particularly good at it. I suggest that you learn how to
    produce the code manually. It will be more difficult to begin with, but you
    will learn a heck of a lot more, and more quickly if you do it this way.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Nov 22, 2006

    Thanks for your post, Mike, and for your advice.

    It seems that by simply rebooting my machine, the problem is solved. I
    have done a bit of searching on lists elsewhere and it seems this is a
    common problem. Seeing as the problem doesn't appear to be wholly down
    to the code, is there a way to make IIS more stable?

    Many thanks

    Jo

    , Nov 22, 2006
  4. Mike Brind Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your post, Mike, and for your advice.
    >
    > It seems that by simply rebooting my machine, the problem is solved. I
    > have done a bit of searching on lists elsewhere and it seems this is a
    > common problem. Seeing as the problem doesn't appear to be wholly down
    > to the code, is there a way to make IIS more stable?

    Rebooting your machine is not solving the problem - it's recovering after
    the problem has ocurred. And I don't know how you have deduced it is not
    down to the code you are using. DSN connections, for example are
    notoriously unstable, which is why they are not recommended practice. That
    isn't an IIS stability issue, it's a code choice problem.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Nov 22, 2006