Connection string errors

abc929y

Hello

I am a complete newcomer to ASP and I am trying to get around a few
teething problems. I would be very grateful if any of you can point me
in the right direction because I am tearing my hair out!

I am using DW8 to create a simple database-driven site using IIS and
ASP vbscript. I have created a virtual directory in IIS and I have
created the DSN, connection and appropriate recordsets. The problem is
I keep getting the following error:

Error Type:
Provider (0x80004005)
Unspecified error

The line the error refers to is always the connection string. And it
seems to be intermittent. Sometimes the page works fine, other times I
get this error - but I can't figure out why. I always make sure that I
save my files and put them to the server so I really can't work this
out.

Can anyone help?

TIA.

Mike Brind

[...]

Not without seeing the line that causes the error, and other relevant lines
that contain the connection information. Can you post it?

Also, while I also use DW8 for ASP sites, I do not allow it create any ASP
code. DW is not particularly good at it. I suggest that you learn how to
produce the code manually. It will be more difficult to begin with, but you
will learn a heck of a lot more, and more quickly if you do it this way.

abc929y

Thanks for your post, Mike, and for your advice.

It seems that by simply rebooting my machine, the problem is solved. I
have done a bit of searching on lists elsewhere and it seems this is a
common problem. Seeing as the problem doesn't appear to be wholly down
to the code, is there a way to make IIS more stable?

Many thanks

Jo

Mike Brind

Thanks for your post, Mike, and for your advice.

It seems that by simply rebooting my machine, the problem is solved. I
have done a bit of searching on lists elsewhere and it seems this is a
common problem. Seeing as the problem doesn't appear to be wholly down
to the code, is there a way to make IIS more stable?

Rebooting your machine is not solving the problem - it's recovering after
the problem has ocurred. And I don't know how you have deduced it is not
down to the code you are using. DSN connections, for example are
notoriously unstable, which is why they are not recommended practice. That
isn't an IIS stability issue, it's a code choice problem.