connection to excel

soubhagya

hi..

I need to open an excel file and read
particular rows column data from particular worksheet and write to
another excel file.
this is to be done with "C" program..Right now I have no software
installed on my system
what are the software required to do this and what are the steps to
follow to achieve this..

thanks in advance
ss

Stefan Wiesendanger

soubhagya said:
hi..

I need to open an excel file and read
particular rows column data from particular worksheet and write to
another excel file.
this is to be done with "C" program..Right now I have no software
installed on my system
what are the software required to do this and what are the steps to
follow to achieve this..

thanks in advance
ss
That's completely off-topic for this newsgroup....
But to give you some advice, you'll certainly need a C compiler on Windows,
probably Visual C++.

But from your question, I guess you don't have much experience developing in
C (apologies if that's not correct), so I don't think you'd really want to
do something like that in C, because it will require not only knowledge in
C or C++ but also knowledge of technologies like Windows OLE automation or
similar. Why does it need to be C? Visual Basic for Applications would
probably do the job much easier...

Cheers
Stef

soubhagya

Originally posted by Stefan Wiesendanger
http://dbforums.com/http://dbforums.com
That's completely off-topic for this newsgroup....
But to give you some advice, you'll certainly need a C compiler on
Windows,
probably Visual C++.

But from your question, I guess you don't have much experience
developing in
C (apologies if that's not correct), so I don't think you'd
really want to
do something like that in C, because it will require not only
knowledge in
C or C++ but also knowledge of technologies like Windows OLE
automation or
similar. Why does it need to be C? Visual Basic for Applications would
probably do the job much easier...

Cheers
Stef

I have enough knowlege of C and C++ .. since our all modules code is
already written in C and these modules should read data and write data
to Excel file ,it would be better if u could direct me how I am supposed
to do the so called Windows OLE automation etc.,
I would be really glad if u could give me detailed steps as to how we
can connect to excel and read and write data..
Actually to brief u about my project .. we have main interface developed
in VB. It has four individual modules ..Each module is set of
calculations and these are developed in C . now these modules should
read the data from excel file and write to excel file..
So can u help me in how I could proceed.. and if u could provide
some sample code where data is read and written to excel file it
would be great..
thanks in advance'

Stefan Wiesendanger

soubhagya wrote:

I have enough knowlege of C and C++ .. since our all modules code is
already written in C and these modules should read data and write data
to Excel file ,it would be better if u could direct me how I am supposed
to do the so called Windows OLE automation etc.,
Try searching at msdn.microsoft.com for these terms (OLE, Excel etc.)
There's lots of documentation with sample code there...

soubhagya

thanks for information ..u can send the code samples to
(e-mail address removed)

Michael B Allen

web site - a search for BIFF will turn up several references. If you
care to post a real email address I can send some sample C++ code which
reads Excel files. I also have some freely accessible document files
which explain the BIFF data format and the Excel records therein,
although more up-to-date information is available on MSDN.

Hi Slartibartfast,

I tried to send this too you without success. Please reply via e-mail.

--8<--

I read your post on comp.lang.c regarding the BIFF format. Can you also
send me the documentation you described? I have info regarding the details
of structured storage and a little about .DOC on my website:

http://www.ioplex.com/~miallen

If I ever get to digging around in this stuff again I might add another
blurb about Excel. For now I'm just collecting data....

Also you said "most microsoft applications use biff"? From reading the
"Microsoft Word Binary File Format" document I didn't gleen anything about
biff. Is there something about the superstructure of .DOC streams that are
related to BIFF?

Mike

Malcolm

Michael B Allen said:
I read your post on comp.lang.c regarding the BIFF format. Can you
also send me the documentation you described? I have info regarding
the details of structured storage and a little about .DOC on my website:
See what happens when you start answering OT queries on the ng? As far as
ANSI C is concerned BIFF is just another Microsoft binary file format. You
can of course discuss BIFF intircacies at length, but not here.

Slartibartfast

Malcolm said:
See what happens when you start answering OT queries on the ng? As far as
ANSI C is concerned BIFF is just another Microsoft binary file format. You
can of course discuss BIFF intircacies at length, but not here.

And what exactly has happened?? The point of topicality is to preserve bandwidth, and I chose to give somebody the assistance they
requested using no more than it takes to tell them to go elsewhere. You will notice I asked for an email address in order to
continue the conversation away from this NG.

You have wasted just as much precious bandwidth with your pointless (and, BTW, factually incorrect) response, and a lot more is
wasted daily by people (usually regulars) scoring points off each other, or posting refusals to answer questions for one reason or
another, or reposting spam in order to make some kind of riposte.

So don't lecture me. At least my posting was useful to somebody.