    follow to achieve this..

    thanks in advance
    ss

    soubhagya, Jul 31, 2003

  2. soubhagya wrote:

    > hi..
    >
    > I need to open an excel file and read
    > particular rows column data from particular worksheet and write to
    > another excel file.
    > this is to be done with "C" program..Right now I have no software
    > installed on my system
    > what are the software required to do this and what are the steps to
    > follow to achieve this..
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > ss

    That's completely off-topic for this newsgroup....
    But to give you some advice, you'll certainly need a C compiler on Windows,
    probably Visual C++.

    But from your question, I guess you don't have much experience developing in
    C (apologies if that's not correct), so I don't think you'd really want to
    do something like that in C, because it will require not only knowledge in
    C or C++ but also knowledge of technologies like Windows OLE automation or
    similar. Why does it need to be C? Visual Basic for Applications would
    probably do the job much easier...

    Cheers
    Stef
    Stefan Wiesendanger, Jul 31, 2003

  3. soubhagya

    soubhagya Guest

    Originally posted by Stefan Wiesendanger
    > soubhagya wrote:
    >

    > > hi..
    > >
    > > I need to open an excel file and read
    > > particular rows column data from particular worksheet and write

    > > another excel file.
    > > this is to be done with "C" program..Right now I have no

    > software
    > > installed on my system
    > > what are the software required to do this and what are the steps

    > > follow to achieve this..
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    > > ss
    > >
    > > --

    > http://dbforums.com/http://dbforums.com
    > That's completely off-topic for this newsgroup....
    > But to give you some advice, you'll certainly need a C compiler on
    > Windows,
    > probably Visual C++.
    >
    > But from your question, I guess you don't have much experience
    > developing in
    > C (apologies if that's not correct), so I don't think you'd
    > really want to
    > do something like that in C, because it will require not only
    > knowledge in
    > C or C++ but also knowledge of technologies like Windows OLE
    > automation or
    > similar. Why does it need to be C? Visual Basic for Applications would
    > probably do the job much easier...
    >
    > Cheers
    > Stef

    I have enough knowlege of C and C++ .. since our all modules code is
    already written in C and these modules should read data and write data
    to Excel file ,it would be better if u could direct me how I am supposed
    to do the so called Windows OLE automation etc.,
    I would be really glad if u could give me detailed steps as to how we
    can connect to excel and read and write data..
    Actually to brief u about my project .. we have main interface developed
    in VB. It has four individual modules ..Each module is set of
    calculations and these are developed in C . now these modules should
    read the data from excel file and write to excel file..
    So can u help me in how I could proceed.. and if u could provide
    some sample code where data is read and written to excel file it
    would be great..
    thanks in advance'

    soubhagya, Jul 31, 2003
  4. soubhagya wrote:

    > I have enough knowlege of C and C++ .. since our all modules code is
    > already written in C and these modules should read data and write data
    > to Excel file ,it would be better if u could direct me how I am supposed
    > to do the so called Windows OLE automation etc.,

    Try searching at msdn.microsoft.com for these terms (OLE, Excel etc.)
    There's lots of documentation with sample code there...
    Stefan Wiesendanger, Jul 31, 2003
  5. soubhagya

    soubhagya Guest

    soubhagya, Aug 1, 2003
  6. On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 09:52:32 -0400, Slartibartfast wrote:

    > web site - a search for BIFF will turn up several references. If you
    > care to post a real email address I can send some sample C++ code which
    > reads Excel files. I also have some freely accessible document files
    > which explain the BIFF data format and the Excel records therein,
    > although more up-to-date information is available on MSDN.

    Hi Slartibartfast,

    I tried to send this too you without success. Please reply via e-mail.

    --8<--

    I read your post on comp.lang.c regarding the BIFF format. Can you also
    send me the documentation you described? I have info regarding the details
    of structured storage and a little about .DOC on my website:

    http://www.ioplex.com/~miallen

    If I ever get to digging around in this stuff again I might add another
    blurb about Excel. For now I'm just collecting data....

    Also you said "most microsoft applications use biff"? From reading the
    "Microsoft Word Binary File Format" document I didn't gleen anything about
    biff. Is there something about the superstructure of .DOC streams that are
    related to BIFF?

    Mike
    Michael B Allen, Aug 1, 2003
  7. soubhagya

    Malcolm Guest

    "Michael B Allen" <> wrote in message

    > I read your post on comp.lang.c regarding the BIFF format. Can you
    > also send me the documentation you described? I have info regarding
    > the details of structured storage and a little about .DOC on my website:

    See what happens when you start answering OT queries on the ng? As far as
    ANSI C is concerned BIFF is just another Microsoft binary file format. You
    can of course discuss BIFF intircacies at length, but not here.
    Malcolm, Aug 2, 2003
  8. "Malcolm" <> wrote in message news:bget10$ntm$...

    > See what happens when you start answering OT queries on the ng? As far as
    > ANSI C is concerned BIFF is just another Microsoft binary file format. You
    > can of course discuss BIFF intircacies at length, but not here.

    And what exactly has happened?? The point of topicality is to preserve bandwidth, and I chose to give somebody the assistance they
    requested using no more than it takes to tell them to go elsewhere. You will notice I asked for an email address in order to
    continue the conversation away from this NG.

    You have wasted just as much precious bandwidth with your pointless (and, BTW, factually incorrect) response, and a lot more is
    wasted daily by people (usually regulars) scoring points off each other, or posting refusals to answer questions for one reason or
    another, or reposting spam in order to make some kind of riposte.

    So don't lecture me. At least my posting was useful to somebody.

    --
    #include <stdio.h>
    char*f="#include <stdio.h>char*f=%c%s%c;main(){printf(f,34,f,34,10);}%c";
    Slartibartfast, Aug 4, 2003