Connection to web server lost uploading files of 100mb

Phil Johnson

I suspect this is to do with the configuration of IIS but I posted here as it
could be asp.net related...

I'm uploading large files through an asp.net 1.1 web app... works fine on my
dev box and on a staging server with files up to about 300mb but on the live
box if I try to upload 100mb I get a page cannot be displayed with the
following info:

Explanation: The Web server connection was closed.
Error Code 64: Host not available
Background: The connection to the Web server was lost.

Both web.config's have the following:

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="1048576" executionTimeout="3600"/>

My devbox is running IIS 5.1 (I think) on Windows XP Pro SP 2, the live
server is running Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Regards,

Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
PJ Software Development
www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.com

Mark Fitzpatrick

Up the request lenght a bit. The config would work if the file is exactly
100 MB and not one bit over. Kicking it up just a bit may help out.

Also, since uploads are always slower than downloads by almost an order of
magnitude, you may be running into the fact that the application itself
could be unloading. About how long is it taking to upload a file this large
for you? If it's close to 20 minutes, that could be happening.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Phil Johnson

Thanks for the response Mark,

Apparently we have a bit of a dodgy internet connection... looks like the
issue might be caused by a short loss of connectivity.

Going to try uploading a file from home tonight to see if it only happens in
our offices.

--
Regards,

Phillip Johnson (MCSD For .NET)
PJ Software Development
www.pjsoftwaredevelopment.com

Phil Johnson

The original error is related to dodgy connectivity in our office, but when I
tried from home it ran for about 30 mins then displayed a standard 'Page
cannot be displayed', so I am going to look into whether the application is
timing out.