    connection string is fine.

    This issue seems to be server related, becuase all the same code and
    database ran fine on Windows 2000.

    alorentz, Nov 9, 2005

  2. alorentz wrote:
    > Moved from Windows 2000 to Window 2003, and now receive this error
    > sporradically. It only happens a couple times per day, so the
    > connection string is fine.
    >
    > This issue seems to be server related, becuase all the same code and
    > database ran fine on Windows 2000.

    We probably won't be able to help you here. This sounds like a network
    issue. You could try the sqlserver.server or sqlserver.connect newsgroups,
    or have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306/, but I doubt they
    will be able to help based on the sporadicness of your symptoms. You will
    probably need to get MS Product Support involved.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 9, 2005

  3. alorentz

    alorentz Guest

    I guess so...that seems to be the link that everyone posts, but doesn't
    solve the issue. It'll be like striking oil in Jersey when this one
    gets solved!

    Thanks.

    alorentz, Nov 9, 2005
  4. alorentz

    Roland Hall Guest

    "alorentz" <> wrote in message
    :I guess so...that seems to be the link that everyone posts, but doesn't
    : solve the issue. It'll be like striking oil in Jersey when this one
    : gets solved!

    A sniffer will tell you if it's a network issue as long as you don't mind
    working at the packet level. If you're using a Cisco switch in between the
    two you can easily get error information in the logs. You can get connect
    failures which may be attributed to retries because of a NIC not liking full
    duplex or failing. This can also be a port on the switch. Or you may have
    saturated the backplane. The quick remedy is to modify your network
    settings to half duplex to test or try another port. The long fix is to
    bump up the capacity of your backplane. This is also called the $$ fix.

    This is seen a lot when the whole network is running full duplex so it's
    intermittent based on network load. Check the times it happens, if they're
    somewhat regular like in the morning and right after lunch the it points to
    a capacity issue. That may save a little time troubleshooting it.

    HTH...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Nov 10, 2005
  5. alorentz

    alorentz Guest

    Re: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    Based on some research, it seems people say if you install Windows 2003
    SP1, it should fix the problem...because this is MS bug.

    alorentz, Nov 10, 2005
  6. alorentz

    Roland Hall Guest

    "alorentz" wrote in message
    : Based on some research, it seems people say if you install Windows 2003
    : SP1, it should fix the problem...because this is MS bug.

    Keeping your system up to date is generally a given.

    Roland Hall, Nov 12, 2005
  7. alorentz

    alorentz Guest

    alorentz, Nov 16, 2005
  8. alorentz

    alorentz Guest

    Re: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    >>Keeping your system up to date is generally a given.

    Thanks for the incite...very helpful ;P

    alorentz, Nov 16, 2005
  9. alorentz

    Roland Hall Guest

    "alorentz" <> wrote in message
    : >>Keeping your system up to date is generally a given.
    :
    : Thanks for the incite...very helpful ;P

    Perhaps my statement wasn't clear. I had assumed you were up to date so I
    didn't consider posting anything re: updates. It was not a slam. When I
    get notifications for updates, I review and test out of production before
    putting updates into production. I am also the decision maker. I know
    everyone doesn't have this luxury, for numerous reasons, so my comment was
    an explanation why I omitted referencing updates. It was a CYA statement,
    not a UYA one. (O:=

    Roland Hall, Nov 16, 2005
  10. alorentz

    alorentz Guest

    Re: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    To clarify answer:

    Connection pooling was disabled for security reasons, so you need to
    add registry keys specified in article here:

    path:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters

    type: DWORD
    name: TcpTimedWaitDelay
    value: 30 (decimal)

    type: DWORD
    name: MaxUserPort
    value: 10000 (decimal)

    Ultimately is connection pooling is enabled this shouldn't happen, but
    try it anyway. Check netsats from command prompt....if you see around
    4000 connections in TIME_WAIT, then that is the problem.

    alorentz, Nov 17, 2005