[ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

alorentz

Moved from Windows 2000 to Window 2003, and now receive this error
sporradically. It only happens a couple times per day, so the
connection string is fine.

This issue seems to be server related, becuase all the same code and
database ran fine on Windows 2000.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

alorentz said:
Moved from Windows 2000 to Window 2003, and now receive this error
sporradically. It only happens a couple times per day, so the
connection string is fine.

This issue seems to be server related, becuase all the same code and
database ran fine on Windows 2000.

We probably won't be able to help you here. This sounds like a network
issue. You could try the sqlserver.server or sqlserver.connect newsgroups,
or have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306/, but I doubt they
will be able to help based on the sporadicness of your symptoms. You will
probably need to get MS Product Support involved.

Bob Barrows

alorentz

I guess so...that seems to be the link that everyone posts, but doesn't
solve the issue. It'll be like striking oil in Jersey when this one
gets solved!

Thanks.

Roland Hall

:I guess so...that seems to be the link that everyone posts, but doesn't
: solve the issue. It'll be like striking oil in Jersey when this one
: gets solved!

A sniffer will tell you if it's a network issue as long as you don't mind
working at the packet level. If you're using a Cisco switch in between the
two you can easily get error information in the logs. You can get connect
failures which may be attributed to retries because of a NIC not liking full
duplex or failing. This can also be a port on the switch. Or you may have
saturated the backplane. The quick remedy is to modify your network
settings to half duplex to test or try another port. The long fix is to
bump up the capacity of your backplane. This is also called the $$ fix.

This is seen a lot when the whole network is running full duplex so it's
intermittent based on network load. Check the times it happens, if they're
somewhat regular like in the morning and right after lunch the it points to
a capacity issue. That may save a little time troubleshooting it.

HTH...

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

alorentz

Based on some research, it seems people say if you install Windows 2003
SP1, it should fix the problem...because this is MS bug.

Roland Hall

in message
: Based on some research, it seems people say if you install Windows 2003
: SP1, it should fix the problem...because this is MS bug.

Keeping your system up to date is generally a given.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

alorentz

Keeping your system up to date is generally a given.

Thanks for the incite...very helpful ;P

Roland Hall

: >>Keeping your system up to date is generally a given.
:
: Thanks for the incite...very helpful ;P

Perhaps my statement wasn't clear. I had assumed you were up to date so I
didn't consider posting anything re: updates. It was not a slam. When I
get notifications for updates, I review and test out of production before
putting updates into production. I am also the decision maker. I know
everyone doesn't have this luxury, for numerous reasons, so my comment was
an explanation why I omitted referencing updates. It was a CYA statement,
not a UYA one. (O:=

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

alorentz

To clarify answer:

Connection pooling was disabled for security reasons, so you need to
add registry keys specified in article here:

path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters

type: DWORD
name: TcpTimedWaitDelay
value: 30 (decimal)

type: DWORD
name: MaxUserPort
value: 10000 (decimal)

Ultimately is connection pooling is enabled this shouldn't happen, but
try it anyway. Check netsats from command prompt....if you see around
4000 connections in TIME_WAIT, then that is the problem.