ConnectionTimeout and CommandTimeout ignored when running ASP on Windows Server2003 with IIS 6.0

Tim Meagher

I am running ASP code that was migrated from a Windows 2000 Server to a
Windows 2003 server. For some reason the connection timeout or command
timeout are getting ignored and my query time sout after 30 seconds. My
connection times are set as follows in an include file:

Dim objDBConnection
Set objDBConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
With objDBConnection
.ConnectionString = Application("ConnString")
.ConnectionTimeout = 180
.CommandTimeout = 240
.Open
End With

Thank you,

Tim

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Tim said:
I am running ASP code that was migrated from a Windows 2000 Server to
a Windows 2003 server. For some reason the connection timeout or
command timeout are getting ignored and my query time sout after 30
seconds. My connection times are set as follows in an include file:

Dim objDBConnection
Set objDBConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
With objDBConnection
.ConnectionString = Application("ConnString")
.ConnectionTimeout = 180
.CommandTimeout = 240
.Open
End With

Are you sure it's your query timing out (you would be getting an ADO message
in this case), and not your script timing out (you would be getting a
vbscript message in this case)? Try setting your server.ScriptTimeout to a
larger number.

Incidently, it's a bad idea to execute long-running queries from ASP,
especially if you want your application to scale. Is there anything that can
be done to optimize the query rather than bogging down your web server?

Bob Barrows