Considering learning Ruby on Rails

dspohn

I have spent most of my career using PHP, Perl, C# and VB .NET for web
development. I have heard and read very good things about ruby and ruby
on rails and have considered switching to them. What are some benefits
to using Ruby instead of the other prementioned languages. How does
ruby on rails perform and how easy is it to learn. If anyone has
personal experiences they would like to share it would be greatly
appreciated. I hope to start trying out Ruby later this week.

Thanks,
d.spohn

Ben Myles

I could tell you how great I think Ruby and Rails both are, and the
benefits I've experienced. But, honestly, it's something you just need
to try for yourself.

Buy the book 'Agile Web Development with Rails' (www.pragprog.com) and
work your way through it. You'll never look back.

Ben

[...]

Brock Weaver

------=_Part_4088_31013523.1127161766465

You can get an older version of that book online for free @=20
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

Although Ruby is an extremely powerful language, I think Rails is just as=
=20
powerful of a framework. That link above is only for the Ruby language=20
itself, not Rails.

=20
Buy the book 'Agile Web Development with Rails' (www.pragprog.com<http://= www.pragprog.com>)=20
and
work your way through it. You'll never look back.
=20
Ben
=20
[...]
=20
=20

--=20
Brock Weaver
(e-mail address removed)

/* you are not expected to understand this */

------=_Part_4088_31013523.1127161766465--

Brock Weaver

------=_Part_4096_14852645.1127161860484

I'm sorry, it's not the same book -- this is a pdf of the Ruby book. But I=
=20
believe they're written by the same cool cats. It's good to have a strong=
=20
understanding of Ruby (and idiomatic Ruby code) before moving on to Rails=
=20
itself. It'll help answer a lot of those "wow, weird syntax" questions.=20

Sorry for the noise...

=20
[...]
/* you are not expected to understand this */=20