    1.when did we start useing "int _tmain" instead of "int main"?
    2. what is console::WriteLine and why do books and tuorials use it if
    msdn says it cant make a sample of house to use it for c++?
    Dan Irwin, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Dan Irwin

    Phlip Guest

    Dan Irwin wrote:

    > i just bought a book on c++.net and read about half through the book,
    > there are two things that i dont understand:

    Further questions will work best on a .net newsgroup; this one tries to
    discuss platform-neutral C++.

    > 1.when did we start useing "int _tmain" instead of "int main"?

    When we started writing Typed code that could re-compile for "unicode"
    easily.

    Things containing T, such as TCHAR or STRTCHR, typically toggle by a UNICODE
    macro. If that's on, they front wchar_t (which is standard). If that's off,
    they front char (which is standard and more familiar).

    The 16-bit wchar_t characters can store wide code pages, such as UTF-16,
    which some folks causally refer to as "Unicode".

    Be fooled by imitations. 'char' type can store UTF-8, which is just as
    global.

    But never increment a character pointer, such as pc++, and expect it to
    point to the "beginning" of a complete character if your string could
    contain multi-byte characters.

    > 2. what is console::WriteLine and why do books and tuorials use it if
    > msdn says it cant make a sample of house to use it for c++?

    Sample of house?

    That is probably some kind of character-mode function, such as "ncurses" for
    the GNU/Un*x/VT technologies.

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces