Consolidating Sites - DNS Implications

Guadala Harry

I'm in the process of consolidting several Web sites into one new ASP.NET
Web application. What specifically do I need to do in order for any URLs
pointing to the original sites to get re-pointed to the new site? Is this
the job of "dns forwarding" or is it the job of "url redirection"? (or are
these the same thing).

Once everyone is routed correctly to the new site (users go to the original
site, eg., Site1.com and are automatically re-routed to NewSite.com), is
there an easy way for the new ASP.NET Web application to know how the user
arrived; e.g., if the user went to Site1.com and was automatically re-routed
to NewSite.com, how can NewSite know that the user arrived by way of
redirection from Site1.com.

Thanks.

bruce barker

DNS manages translating a ServerName to an ipaddress. if you just moved your
server to a new computer, you can redirect traffic to the new server by
updateing the DNS entry.

if you changed the server or path of the url, then you are in the url
redirecting business. url redirecting works by putting pages in the old
sites that redirect to the new site thru either a meta tag or redirect
header. you will need a redirect page for every bookmark, or link you still
want to work. you could also use a IIS filter to do redirecting (it would
translate the url to the new url and respond with a redirect).

if you plan on retiring the old server, setup the redirect sites on the new
server, and change the DNS entry for the old server to the new server.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)