    to NewSite.com, how can NewSite know that the user arrived by way of
    redirection from Site1.com.

    Thanks.

    Guadala Harry, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Guadala Harry

    bruce barker Guest

    DNS manages translating a ServerName to an ipaddress. if you just moved your
    server to a new computer, you can redirect traffic to the new server by
    updateing the DNS entry.

    if you changed the server or path of the url, then you are in the url
    redirecting business. url redirecting works by putting pages in the old
    sites that redirect to the new site thru either a meta tag or redirect
    header. you will need a redirect page for every bookmark, or link you still
    want to work. you could also use a IIS filter to do redirecting (it would
    translate the url to the new url and respond with a redirect).

    if you plan on retiring the old server, setup the redirect sites on the new
    server, and change the DNS entry for the old server to the new server.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    "Guadala Harry" <> wrote in message
    > I'm in the process of consolidting several Web sites into one new ASP.NET
    > Web application. What specifically do I need to do in order for any URLs
    > pointing to the original sites to get re-pointed to the new site? Is this
    > the job of "dns forwarding" or is it the job of "url redirection"? (or are
    > these the same thing).
    >
    > Once everyone is routed correctly to the new site (users go to the

    original
    > site, eg., Site1.com and are automatically re-routed to NewSite.com), is
    > there an easy way for the new ASP.NET Web application to know how the user
    > arrived; e.g., if the user went to Site1.com and was automatically

    re-routed

    bruce barker, Feb 6, 2004