Constrained delegation question!

Tony201

Can I use constrained delegation to alllow my web application to control
services on a remote server? At the moment, I have code that when run on my
local machine (XP - no double hop) is able to control services on remote
servers. However, when I move the web application to an IIS server, I get the
error llisted below. I am guessing that I need to setup an SPN but don't know
how to do it for the Service Control Manager. Any ideas?

[Win32Exception (0x80004005): Access is denied]

[InvalidOperationException: Cannot open Service Control Manager on computer
'serverxxxx'. This operation might require other privileges.]

System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GetDataBaseHandleWithAccess(String
machineName, Int32 serviceControlManaqerAccess) +35775

System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GetDataBaseHandleWithEnumerateAccess(String machineName) +9
System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GetServicesOfType(String
machineName, Int32 serviceType) +143
System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GetServices(String machineName) +9
AutonomyAdmin.test.test2() +400
AutonomyAdmin.test.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +137
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o,
Object t, EventArgs e) +14
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender,
EventArgs e) +35
includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Joe Kaplan

It should work although I've never tested this scenario.

I'd suggest delegating the SPN for HOST/server to the IIS app pool identity
(or the computer account if you use network service or system) to see if
that works. If you are using the full DNS name to connect to the remote
machine, use that SPN instead. You can also delegate both.

If you are getting Kerberos authentication to the remote machine, then the
constrained delegation should work here. You can check the security event
logs on the remote machine to discover how you are authenticating. If you
get NTLM, then it will not work.

Tony201

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. For this application, I have already setup delegation
for SQL Server access so I have an SPN for my DNS/IIS App Pool Identity. In
Active Directory under the delegation tab (for IIS App Pool Identity), I have
allowed delegation to the SQL Server service, however, I don't know how to
allow delegation to the Service Control Manager eg, for SQL Server, under the
delegation tab, I click add and then type in the account that I created the
SQL Server SPN for. For allowing Service Control Manager, which user would I
need to type in and then what service should I add? Alternatively, how would
I setup an SPN to allow delegation to Window Services?

Cheers,
Tan

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
Tony201 said:
[...]

The account to delegate to would be the domain computer account for the
machine running the services. I think you should be able to use the service
type "HOST" which is a wildcard for a bunch of stuff and typically covers
these built in RPC things like remote management.

I'm not sure what this would look like in the GUI exactly. I usually make
this type of change using a lower level tool but hopefully this gives you
the idea.

You should not need to create a new SPN though. You are just delegating to
an existing one. The HOST/xxx SPNs for the computer account are created
automatically when the machine is joined to the domain.

Joe Kaplan said:
It should work although I've never tested this scenario.

I'd suggest delegating the SPN for HOST/server to the IIS app pool
identity
(or the computer account if you use network service or system) to see if
that works. If you are using the full DNS name to connect to the remote
machine, use that SPN instead. You can also delegate both.

If you are getting Kerberos authentication to the remote machine, then
the
constrained delegation should work here. You can check the security
event
logs on the remote machine to discover how you are authenticating. If
you
get NTLM, then it will not work.

Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services
Programming"
Tony201 said:
[...]

+627

Tony201

Hi Joe,

You are right there is a service called HOST on the target server which I
have now delegated to the IIS AppPool account. However I am still getting
access denied. The one thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts is that
when I browse to the application locally (i.e on the web server), it works,
however, when I browse to it from an XP box I get access denied.

The thing that perplexes me is that there are no faillure audit events on
any of the servers including the domain controllers. The only 2 events that
might be related i.e they are generated everytime I browse to the application
from my XP box and they mention the web server name. I have listed these
below.

Event Type: Success Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 540
Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:03
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: TARGET-SERVER
Successful Network Logon:
User Name:
Domain:
Logon ID: (0x0,0x7D98711)
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: WEB-SERVER
Logon GUID: -
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -
Caller Process ID: -
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: 172.16.224.1
Source Port: 0

Event Type: Success Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 538
Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:06
User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer: TARGET-SERVER
User Logoff:
User Name: ANONYMOUS LOGON
Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Logon ID: (0x0,0x7D98711)
Logon Type: 3

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:03

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:06

Joe Kaplan said:
[...]

Normally when you see an anonymous login being attempted with NTLM, it is
because the client did not attempt Kerberos authentication to access the
remote server.

When you connect to the remote machine in your code to manage the service
control manager, are you using an IP address or the host name? Kerb
requires the use of the host name.

You might start by using a simple console app on the web server to access
the remote SCM and seeing what type of authentication is recorded on the
remote machine in the security event log. What you are looking for is a
kerberos-based authentication to that machine. If you can only get NTLM
auth to the remote machine, you won't be able to get Kerb delegation to
work. Hopefully this helps flesh out your mental model.

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:03

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:06

:

[...]

Joe,

I am using the hostname in my code

dGrid.DataSource = ServiceController.GetServices("serverxxxx");

On the web server, I tried browsing to the application using the IP address.
This works and I get a events logged that indicate that Kerb authentication
has taken place (see below). However, when I use the DNS name to browse to
the application, it gives me an access denied error and I get the NT
AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON event. I am not sure why this is so.

Date: 24/06/2009
Time: 11:35:07
User: Domain\Username
Computer: TargetServer
User Logoff:
User Name: Username
Domain: WEB
Logon ID: (0x0,0x98B42A2)
Logon Type: 3

Date: 24/06/2009
Time: 11:34:36
User: Domain\Username
Computer: TargetServer
Successful Network Logon:
User Name: Username
Domain: Domain
Logon ID: (0x0,0x98B42A2)
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: Kerberos
Authentication Package: Kerberos
Workstation Name:
Logon GUID: {2c253827-89be-8166-d10a-865d2075808e}
Caller User Name: -
Caller Domain: -
Caller Logon ID: -
Caller Process ID: -
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: 172.16.224.1
Source Port: 0

Event Type: Success Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Logon/Logoff
Event ID: 576
Date: 24/06/2009
Time: 11:34:36
User: Domain\Username
Computer: TargetServer
Special privileges assigned to new logon:
User Name: Username
Domain: Domain
Logon ID: (0x0,0x98B42A2)
Privileges: SeSecurityPrivilege
SeBackupPrivilege
SeRestorePrivilege
SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
SeDebugPrivilege
SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
SeLoadDriverPrivilege
SeImpersonatePrivilege

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:03

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:06

Joe Kaplan said:
[...]

The event logs we need to know about are the ones on the server running the
services you are controlling remotely.

Can you show what happens when you have a console app that accesses the
remote server running the services in terms of the security audits on the
remote server?

Date: 24/06/2009
Time: 11:35:07

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:03

Date: 23/06/2009
Time: 10:22:06
[...]

I have finally solved it. I needed to delegate to the cifs service. I will
run further tests and let you know how I go.

Cheers,
Tan