Constructor for Attachment causing Sys.Webforms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorException

SAL

Okay, this seems odd to me but I've narrowed the source of the above error
down to the following line of code:

Dim att As New Attachment(attachment)

Where attachment is a UNC path.

If I comment that line of code out, the error goes away. Why does this work
on my developement box but not on our test server?

I've tried including the content type to no avail.

Any help with this?
using VS2008 on XP sp3

SAL

P.S.
This just happens to be on a page that has a couple of AJAX update panels on
them and the error message box that pops up looks a bit AJAX like to me.
Also, the attachment is an XML file.

SAL

Just another note, I wound up abstracting the mail sending code into a web
service, getting it completely out of that AJAX page, which solved the
problem.