Constructor on type System......WebControl not found

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mike Owen, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Mike Owen

    Mike Owen Guest

    I have just tried to open a the
    file "Controls/CreateEditPost.cs" from within Visual
    Studio .Net, and the error message:
    'An error occurred while loading the document. Fix the
    error, and then try loading the document again. The
    error message follows: An exception occurred while trying
    to create an instan of
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl. The exception
    was "Constructor type
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl not found" '

    This file is used in the Forums Starter Kit, and I have
    not changed it.

    Any idea what the problem can be?

    As an aside I searched for and found the
    file 'webcontrol.cs' on my development PC, but when I
    load it into Visual Studio to have a look at it, the '[!'
    characters in the line:
    'namespace [!output SAFE_NAMESPACE_NAME]' are underlined
    with the Build Error 'Identifier expected' shown - Is
    this causing a problem?

    Thanks, Mike.
    Mike Owen, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Mike Owen

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Mike,

    You need to replace the string [!output SAFE_NAMESPACE_NAME] with a real
    namespace name like:

    MyNameSpace

    You may try this to see if the error will be removed.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    MSFT, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Mike Owen

    Mike Owen Guest

    I changed the namespace and it makes no difference - On
    closer inspection, this file is in a Folder called
    VC#Wizards, and looking at the
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl class, this looks
    nothing like it!

    I will email you the code that is causing the problem.
    It is as it is supplied with the Forums Starter kit.

    It seems like it might be a problem with the .Net base
    code, and I might need to upgrade the version of .Net
    that I have on my development PC? - What do you think?

    Thanks, Mike.

    and confers no

    Mike Owen, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Mike Owen

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Mike,

    To ensure if the problem was related to the enviroment on your computer,
    you can try to create web controls library project with VS.NET. Can you
    done this?

    Additionally, this problem may also related to the installation and
    configration of the Forums Starter Kit.

    MSFT, Dec 2, 2003