Consume .NET Web Service with HTTP-POST/GET

M B HONG 20

Hi all -

I am developing an ASP.NET web application that requires the use of
remote calls going on behind the client's page in the browser. I
successfully got the service working via SOAP (I have to use SOAP due
to the fact that I need this to be compatible with Netscape 7.0).
However, there is a memory leak in Netscape using SOAP calls, and I
can't figure out why. So I thought that accessing the web service with
HTTP-POST or some other javascript method might alleviate this problem.
Can anyone show me another method, or tell me what is wrong with my
SOAP calls? any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

VK

M said:
Hi all -

I am developing an ASP.NET web application that requires the use of
remote calls going on behind the client's page in the browser. I
successfully got the service working via SOAP (I have to use SOAP due
to the fact that I need this to be compatible with Netscape 7.0).
However, there is a memory leak in Netscape using SOAP calls, and I
can't figure out why. So I thought that accessing the web service with
HTTP-POST or some other javascript method might alleviate this problem.
Can anyone show me another method, or tell me what is wrong with my
SOAP calls? any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Try to use the manual SOAP envelope instead of high level methods:

<http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=893659>

That did the trick for me on IE (truthfully I even did not try the
SOAPCall()

Martin Honnen

M said:
So I thought that accessing the web service with
HTTP-POST or some other javascript method might alleviate this problem.

Mozilla since 1.0 has XMLHttpRequest to make HTTP requests and receive
the response so you could try to use that, either to construct the SOAP
messages by hand and read out the SOAP response by hand or as for simple
messages .NET web services can be configured to respond to non-SOAP HTTP
GET or POST requests you could try that route.
XMLHttpRequest is documented here:
<http://unstable.elemental.com/mozil...xtensions/dox/interfacensIXMLHttpRequest.html>

Using XMLHttpRequest should also have the advantage of getting the code
to work with latest Opera or Safari.
Can anyone show me another method, or tell me what is wrong with my
SOAP calls?

I made some suggestions in
<http://groups-beta.google.com/group...lang.javascript&rnum=4&hl=en#f66b0fa4dbc5c988>
have you tried that?