Consuming a SOAP Service in Ruby.

Saeed Bhuta

Hi,

I am trying to consume a SOAP service. I don't know a lot about this
area but from what I have read, I have come up with the following code
so far;

require 'soap/wsdlDriver'

wsdl="http://realtime.nationalrail.co.uk/ldbws/wsdl.aspx"

driverFactory = SOAP::WSDLDriverFactory.new(wsdl)

p '>>>>>>>>here'
service = driverFactory.create_rpc_driver

board=service.GetDepartureBoard(4, 'ALN', '', '')

However I am getting the following error;
"ignored element: {http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema}maxLength of
WSDL::XMLSchema::SimpleRestriction
ignored element: {http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema}maxLength of
WSDL::XMLSchema::SimpleRestriction
ignored attr: {}default
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/wsdl/import.rb:44:in `parse_attr': undefined method
`targetnamespace=' for #<WSDL::XMLSchema::Schema:0x..fdb72b8a6>
(NoMethodError)"

I'm assuming the error is related to the namespace?

Would sincerely appreciate it if someone could point me in the right
direction.

Saeed

Tim Becker

The wsdl you presented is fairly short, I've found the easiest way to
implement small SOAP enpoints in ruby is to do this:

* Use Java or .NET Tools to create bindings out of the WSDL
* Make one or two sample calls.
* sniff the xml generated by those calls and use it to create
templates for ruby.

Unfortunately, SOAP is one of the most convoluted protocols the earth
has ever seen. The above may sound a bit TOO pragmatic, but you'll
save yourself a world of hurt.

-tim