Consuming a web service

GriffithsJ

Hi

Someone has given me the URL of a "web service". It's something like:
"http://www.someHost.com/service.asp?input=value

What happens is I send it an input key and an associated value and it
returns a set of values.

I have to write an ASP page (not .NET) that calls this page and loads the
return value into a variant and I'm not sure quite how to achieve this.
Presume it's dead easy though...

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Griff

GriffithsJ

Just to confirm, the "web service" that I'm calling is on a completely
different web server. "execute" or "transfer" therefore won't work.

Griff

Joe Fawcett

GriffithsJ said:
Just to confirm, the "web service" that I'm calling is on a completely
different web server. "execute" or "transfer" therefore won't work.

Griff
Try typing http://www.someHost.com/service.asp?wdsl into your browser, you
should get a complicated xml description of the service. If so you can use a
number of tools to access the service, there are hundreds of examples on the
web. Search google for 'soapClient30' for instance. Here is one example
http://www.asp101.com/articles/jeremy/googlespell/default.asp. If not you
can see what format the results are in by entering the url into the browser
if it returns xml then a good choice is using msxml2.xmlhttp.4.0 class for
accessing and parsing results. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...n-us/xmlsdk/htm/sdk_intro_6g53.asp?frame=true for the sdk.