    Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

    Thanks,

    Sam

    Sam Takoy, May 20, 2010

  2. Sam Takoy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this
    > web service:
    >
    > http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL
    >
    > I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I
    > hoping that someone will point me in the right direction for
    > approaching this task?
    > Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

    There are a number of tools that, given a service's WSDL, will generate a
    Java client for that service. Axis 2 is one of them. Try reading about its
    wsdl2java tool.

    Mike Schilling, May 20, 2010

  3. Sam Takoy

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2010, Sam Takoy wrote:

    > I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this web
    > service:
    >
    > http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL
    >
    > I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I hoping that
    > someone will point me in the right direction for approaching this task?
    >
    > Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

    It's one of the options. Last time i did this, i used Metro:

    https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/

    Because it's the reference implementation of JAX-WS, and because from the
    little research i did, it seemed to have better support for the particular
    WSDL features i needed than Axis2.

    To use Metro, you apply the wsimport tool to your WSDL file, and it
    generates a load of code (as source or class files). You put the generated
    classes and the Metro libraries on your classpath, and you're away.

    I should warn you, though: i just ran that WSDL through JBoss's WSDL
    importer, and it rejected it because of a missing import in the schema.
    You may have to do some hacking of the WSDL file to get it to work right.

    tom

    --
    OK, mostly because of Tom, but not only because of his bloody irritating
    character and songs.

    Tom Anderson, May 20, 2010
  4. Sam Takoy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 20-05-2010 01:46, Sam Takoy wrote:
    > I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this web
    > service:
    >
    > http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL
    >
    > I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I hoping
    > that someone will point me in the right direction for approaching this
    > task?
    >
    > Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

    The most important rule for web service beginners are: don't
    focus on SOAP and WSDL, but let the tools take care of that.

    Axis2 is one of those tools.

    wsdl2java -uri http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL

    will generate a file:

    src/com/epfr/epfrdata/EPFRDataStub.java

    which encapsulate the web service call.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 21, 2010
  5. Sam Takoy

    jaap Guest

    Op 20-05-10 14:46, schreef Tom Anderson:
    > On Thu, 20 May 2010, Sam Takoy wrote:
    >
    >> I've been tasked with building an application that will consume this
    >> web service:
    >>
    >> http://epfr.com/epfrdata.asmx?WSDL
    >>
    >> I know java and tomcat, but I know nothing about SOAP and WSDL. I
    >> hoping that someone will point me in the right direction for
    >> approaching this task?
    >>
    >> Is axis2 the right tool to look at here?

    > It's one of the options. Last time i did this, i used Metro:
    >
    > https://jax-ws.dev.java.net/
    >
    > Because it's the reference implementation of JAX-WS, and because from
    > the little research i did, it seemed to have better support for the
    > particular WSDL features i needed than Axis2.
    >
    > To use Metro, you apply the wsimport tool to your WSDL file, and it
    > generates a load of code (as source or class files). You put the
    > generated classes and the Metro libraries on your classpath, and you're
    > away.
    >
    > I should warn you, though: i just ran that WSDL through JBoss's WSDL
    > importer, and it rejected it because of a missing import in the schema.
    > You may have to do some hacking of the WSDL file to get it to work right.
    >
    > tom

    I know both Axis2 and JAX-WS and I prefer the latter. So follow Tom's
    advise. The examples are very clear (and easy).

    Jaap

    jaap, May 21, 2010
  6. Sam Takoy

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 21-05-2010 05:12, jaap wrote:
    > I know both Axis2 and JAX-WS and I prefer the latter.

    So you know that JAX-WS is a standard and Axis2 is software
    that implements the JAX-WS standard?

    :)

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 21, 2010