    web service using classic ASP. Does any body have an example I could
    use?

    Thanks
    Mo, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Mo wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I can not find a decent example showing how to consume a asp.net 2.0
    > web service using classic ASP. Does any body have an example I could
    > use?

    It's not something a lot of us do. All I can suggest is a google search.
    I seem to remember 4GuysFromRolla had a good article about it.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...=en&sourceid=gd&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-37,GGLD:en

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 4, 2007

  3. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Thank you all for your great posts. I have created a simple helloworld
    service which I am trying to call from ASP. I am using the following
    code which is posted in one of the sites I found.:

    html>
    <head>
    <title>Calling a webservice from classic ASP</title>
    </head>
    <%
    If Request.ServerVariables("REQUEST_METHOD") = "POST" Then
    Dim xmlhttp
    Dim DataToSend
    DataToSend="param1="&Request.Form("text1")
    Dim postUrl
    postUrl = " http://xxxlon.xxxmo.com/AWS.asmx/TestService HTTP/1.1"
    Set xmlhttp = server.Createobject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
    xmlhttp.Open "POST",postUrl,false
    xmlhttp.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", _
    "application/x-www-form- urlencoded"
    xmlhttp.send DataToSend
    Response.Write(xmlhttp.responseText)
    End If
    %>
    <FORM method=POST name="form1">
    Enter the two Values to be Added<BR>
    <INPUT type="text" name="text1">

    <BR><BR>
    <INPUT type="submit" value="Add" name="submit1">
    </form>

    But when I access the page I am getting the following error:

    Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/
    TestService'.

    Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Request format is
    unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/TestService'.

    If I remove the /TestService from the service url I get the following
    error after I submit the form:

    soap:ReceiverSystem.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was
    unable to process request. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the
    root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.SoapEnvelopeReader.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.SoapEnvelopeReader.MoveToContent()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocolHelper.GetRequestElement()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.Soap12ServerProtocolHelper.RouteRequest()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.RouteRequest(SoapServerMessage
    message)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.Initialize()
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type
    type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response,
    Boolean& abortProcessing)

    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks
    Mo, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Mo

    Mo Guest

    Thank you for all your great posts. I am still haven't been able to
    get it to work. After I change the object to MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP I
    am getting 500 error on the browser after the button click. I also
    tried removeing http/1.1 from the desciprion of the service and I get
    the error saying that unexpected ending in /TestService.

    Any other recommendations? There must be a working code somewhere. I
    do not believe I am the first guy looking for this.

    Thanks
    Mo, Jun 5, 2007
  5. Re: Consuming Web Service using Classic ASP

    "Adeel Taseer" wrote:
    > I am getting the same problem.

    Same problem as what?

    > A web service can be accessed if both web service and ASP page are
    > on the same server, but if we change it to different servers then
    > it's not returning any response XML.

    Are there any IP restrictions on the service you are attempting to consume?
    What kind of response do you get if you consume the service directly with a
    web browser (while logged onto the server that consumes the service) ?

    Is the service on the remote server an ASP.NET Web Service? If so, have you
    tried toggling this?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.script.services.scriptserviceattribute.aspx

    --
    Dave Anderson