    we access the XmlNode property using classic ASP?

    Kind of a weird one I know. Need some expert assistance here.

    , Sep 5, 2008

  2. Old Pedant Guest

    "" wrote:

    > We wrote a .NET class library that contains a class that produces an
    > XML document. We traverse that document and set a number of
    > properties. We wrapped the resulting DLL using COM so that we can
    > consume it using classic ASP. All of that works just fine. We can
    > access the XML document and all of the properties. We can load the
    > XML into a classic ASP variant using the DOM, etc.
    >
    > We don't need 95 percent of the XML so we are attempting to wring out
    > some overhead by grabbing an XmlNode from the XML document and setting
    > it to a property. Since the DLL is returning a complex type, how can
    > we access the XmlNode property using classic ASP?

    Ummm...add a method to the DLL??

    Why do the work in ASP if you can do it in the DLL code? Just add another
    method to call that allows the ASP code to select a single XmlNode.

    What am I missing?

    Old Pedant, Sep 5, 2008

  3. "Old Pedant" <> wrote in message

    > "" wrote:
    >
    >> We wrote a .NET class library that contains a class that produces an
    >> XML document. We traverse that document and set a number of
    >> properties. We wrapped the resulting DLL using COM so that we can
    >> consume it using classic ASP. All of that works just fine. We can
    >> access the XML document and all of the properties. We can load the
    >> XML into a classic ASP variant using the DOM, etc.
    >>
    >> We don't need 95 percent of the XML so we are attempting to wring out
    >> some overhead by grabbing an XmlNode from the XML document and setting
    >> it to a property. Since the DLL is returning a complex type, how can
    >> we access the XmlNode property using classic ASP?

    > Ummm...add a method to the DLL??
    >
    > Why do the work in ASP if you can do it in the DLL code? Just add another
    > method to call that allows the ASP code to select a single XmlNode.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    The fact that its .NET dll using COM interop which will be using one of the
    ..NET XML DOM implementation which does not support COM interop. IOW you
    can't return System.Xml.XmlNode from a COM component.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Sep 5, 2008
  4. <> wrote in message
    > We wrote a .NET class library that contains a class that produces an
    > XML document. We traverse that document and set a number of
    > properties. We wrapped the resulting DLL using COM so that we can
    > consume it using classic ASP. All of that works just fine. We can
    > access the XML document and all of the properties. We can load the
    > XML into a classic ASP variant using the DOM, etc.
    >
    > We don't need 95 percent of the XML so we are attempting to wring out
    > some overhead by grabbing an XmlNode from the XML document and setting
    > it to a property. Since the DLL is returning a complex type, how can
    > we access the XmlNode property using classic ASP?
    >
    > Kind of a weird one I know. Need some expert assistance here.

    Consider returning XmlNode.OuterXml as a string instead. Then performing a
    LoadXML on an MSXML document.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET

    Anthony Jones, Sep 5, 2008