    enough to let me include everything I need to).

    Thanks for any input!

    , Sep 24, 2006

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:
    > I've got a vague question - just polling for info I guess, while
    > looking for info elsewhere, too..:
    >
    > I'm wondering if there's a commonly used DTD for contact lists in XML.
    > I've got a contacts database, which I'd like to export to XML. I could
    > just design this; but if there's an existing one that's commonly used
    > I'd prefer to do that (depending on what it is and if it'll be dynamic
    > enough to let me include everything I need to).

    The only format I have used is the one in the Sharp Zaurus PDA for
    their Contacts PIM app. No DTD available, AFAIK, but the data looks
    like this:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE Addressbook ><AddressBook>
    <Groups>
    </Groups>
    <Contacts>
    <Contact FirstName="" LastName="" FileAs="" JobTitle="" Company=""
    BusinessPhone="" BusinessFax="" BusinessMobile="" DefaultEmail=""
    Emails="" BusinessStreet="" BusinessCity="" BusinessZip=""
    BusinessCountry="" Gender="" rid="" rinfo="" Categories="" Uid="" />

    Fields not filled in don't get represented (so no attribute is ever
    empty), and by the look of it, it's just fieldnames normalised to
    attribute names. Built for speed, not for anything else.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Sep 24, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > I'm wondering if there's a commonly used DTD for contact lists in XML.

    If you recast the question as address list, this sounds like it could be
    generally useful business data, which suggests that it could be one of
    the things that the OASIS efforts in that direction might be discussing.
    Check their website?

    Part of the question here is what other XML-compatable applications you
    plan to exchange the data with. If the answer is "none", you can do
    whatever makes sense; otherwise look at whether they've standardized on
    something...

    Remember that, if nexessary, it's often possible to adapt one XML format
    to another similar one with a relatively simple XSLT stylesheet.

    Joe Kesselman, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Andy Dingley Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm wondering if there's a commonly used DTD for contact lists in XML.

    FOAF (not an insult, it's a search term!)
    vCard
    RSS (for any generalised handling of "lists of stuff")
    RDF - for handling he list structure and arbitrary groups of property
    sets

    Andy Dingley, Sep 24, 2006

    I've found nothing yet on oasis-open.org; but that'd be exactly the
    type of thing I'd be interested in, certainly. I've yet to identify
    exactly what this needs to be compatible with; in part because ideally
    I'd not want to confine it that way if I've not got to, which is why
    I'd be interested in a common DTD. If I've found nothing within a brief
    period of time, I'll just proceed with designing it in a way that can
    include everything I need it to, which could then be translated if it
    needs to be, as you indicate..

    Thank you for the input!

    Joe Kesselman wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I'm wondering if there's a commonly used DTD for contact lists in XML.

    > If you recast the question as address list, this sounds like it could be
    > generally useful business data, which suggests that it could be one of
    > the things that the OASIS efforts in that direction might be discussing.
    > Check their website?
    >
    > Part of the question here is what other XML-compatable applications you
    > plan to exchange the data with. If the answer is "none", you can do
    > whatever makes sense; otherwise look at whether they've standardized on
    > something...
    >
    > Remember that, if nexessary, it's often possible to adapt one XML format
    > to another similar one with a relatively simple XSLT stylesheet.

    , Sep 26, 2006

    I look further into both FOAF and vCard, thanks!

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm wondering if there's a commonly used DTD for contact lists in XML.

    > FOAF (not an insult, it's a search term!)
    > vCard
    > RSS (for any generalised handling of "lists of stuff")
    > RDF - for handling he list structure and arbitrary groups of property
    > sets

    , Sep 26, 2006