    bit and upload am image for the image bit?

    Thnaks in advance,

    JJ

    JJ, Jul 14, 2006

  2. JJ

    Mike Guest

    The backend storage is really of little importance to a crawler - it
    will be trying to access your site via standard URLs and if these
    resolve to pages generated from content in your database they will be
    found.

    This of course depends on whether or not you have rules in your
    robots.txt restricting them from accessing these pages, and according
    to the depth of crawl set by the crawler administrator, and other
    factors such as whether it can actually find your site or not.

    Also I don't think that you should regard a CMS as fundamentally
    different from any other database-driven web application - you will
    provide an interface to your content creators who will enter the
    articles, and then a UI interface to your viewers which will generate
    pages as HTML.

    Mike, Jul 14, 2006

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks Mike. Have you or anyone any links to some starting points in CMS
    creation in asp .net?
    I am ideally wanting to use mySQL instead of SQL Server.

    JJ

    JJ, Jul 14, 2006
  4. JJ

    Rob Meade Guest

    "JJ" wrote ...

    > One thing I am confused about: Do all content management systems store
    > their content in a database? If so, can their pages be indexed by a search
    > bot?

    Not sure if they ALL do, but some do, the one I wrote does and uses pageid's
    in the querystring to drag content out of the database...it was written in
    ASP about 4 years ago and could do with a really good kick up the arse to be
    honest...somethings things I've considered since though...

    Whilst Google for example has no problem reading/indexing the pages (even
    with the querystring pageid's etc), I think next time when it gets rewritten
    I'll store the content in the database but then generate a set of static
    html's which get used instead...bit more work but I think it will be better
    performance wise and for searching.

    I also chose to use BB style tags in it, which at the time seemed like a
    good idea - I wont be doing that again - jesus - what a headache! If you
    want to allow some nice styled input take a look at:

    http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/plugins.php

    There are others but I'm considering this one (although not tested it yet)

    > If it does cause potential indexing problems, could you potentially have a
    > content management system that creates a new page (from a template linked
    > to a master perhaps) and allow the user to type into a text box for the
    > text bit and upload am image for the image bit?

    on mine they have a text area for the main content, they insert stuff like:

    My bold text

    In addition I have buttons for other functionality such as the Repository
    which stores uploaded documents and images, they can then click on one of
    these to insert it into the main content area, ie:

    [doc id="1"]A sample document[/doc]

    This then gets parsed upon submission and gets replaced with a link to the
    document on the server.

    Hope this helps

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Jul 14, 2006
  5. JJ

    Rob Meade Guest

    "JJ" wrote ...

    > I am ideally wanting to use mySQL instead of SQL Server.

    Why not consider making it compatible with either (and maybe Access)...

    This is something else I wish I'd done...I have a lot of ASP code and
    database requirements which mean it'll only run on expensive servers :eek:)

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Jul 14, 2006
  6. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks Rob.
    I've heard about Dot Net Nuke - anyone else heard of or used this?

    JJ

    JJ, Jul 14, 2006
  7. JJ

    Aemca Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Rob.
    > I've heard about Dot Net Nuke - anyone else heard of or used this?

    For a general purpose CMS I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

    It's a portal application, want a portal then it's good.
    Want a general CMS then look further.

    Free CMS: umbraco, axcms

    Aemca, Jul 14, 2006
  8. JJ

    Aemca Guest

    Aemca, Jul 14, 2006
  9. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks Aemca.

    I agree with your sentments about DotNetNuke - its really doing too much for
    my liking. I want to have more control over my work/design and I don't want
    my clients to design their own portal, just upload the odd page and alter
    the odd bit of text.
    I am considering writing a simple one myself, but will look at the ones you
    mention.

    Just had a look:
    Cuyahoga: based on .net 1.1, no good for me as I'm on 2.0;
    umbraco: from what I read it seems you have to pay for a commercial license?
    I'm looking for a free one;
    axcms: looks interesting - am looking at this one further..

    JJ

    JJ, Jul 15, 2006
  10. JJ

    Aemca Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Aemca.
    >
    > I agree with your sentments about DotNetNuke - its really doing too much
    > for my liking. I want to have more control over my work/design and I don't
    > want my clients to design their own portal, just upload the odd page and
    > alter the odd bit of text.
    > I am considering writing a simple one myself, but will look at the ones
    > you mention.
    >
    > Just had a look:
    > Cuyahoga: based on .net 1.1, no good for me as I'm on 2.0;
    > umbraco: from what I read it seems you have to pay for a commercial
    > license? I'm looking for a free one;
    > axcms: looks interesting - am looking at this one further..
    >
    > JJ

    1.1 will run fine on 2.0 it has a 2.0 version in the works.
    Umbraco is free.
    Same as with axcms there are commercial support options.

    BTW cheep alternatives (not free)
    http://www.kentico.com/
    http://www.dozingdogs.com/

    Aemca, Jul 15, 2006