content management

JJ

I am needing to write a simple content management system for my web site.
I've not done this before so if anyone has any link/info please could you
mention them?

One thing I am confused about: Do all content management systems store their
content in a database? If so, can their pages be indexed by a search bot?

If it does cause potential indexing problems, could you potentially have a
content management system that creates a new page (from a template linked to
a master perhaps) and allow the user to type into a text box for the text
bit and upload am image for the image bit?

Thnaks in advance,

JJ

Mike

The backend storage is really of little importance to a crawler - it
will be trying to access your site via standard URLs and if these
resolve to pages generated from content in your database they will be
found.

This of course depends on whether or not you have rules in your
robots.txt restricting them from accessing these pages, and according
to the depth of crawl set by the crawler administrator, and other
factors such as whether it can actually find your site or not.

Also I don't think that you should regard a CMS as fundamentally
different from any other database-driven web application - you will
provide an interface to your content creators who will enter the
articles, and then a UI interface to your viewers which will generate
pages as HTML.

JJ

Thanks Mike. Have you or anyone any links to some starting points in CMS
creation in asp .net?
I am ideally wanting to use mySQL instead of SQL Server.

JJ

Rob Meade

One thing I am confused about: Do all content management systems store
their content in a database? If so, can their pages be indexed by a search
bot?

Not sure if they ALL do, but some do, the one I wrote does and uses pageid's
in the querystring to drag content out of the database...it was written in
ASP about 4 years ago and could do with a really good kick up the arse to be
honest...somethings things I've considered since though...

Whilst Google for example has no problem reading/indexing the pages (even
with the querystring pageid's etc), I think next time when it gets rewritten
I'll store the content in the database but then generate a set of static
html's which get used instead...bit more work but I think it will be better
performance wise and for searching.

I also chose to use BB style tags in it, which at the time seemed like a
good idea - I wont be doing that again - jesus - what a headache! If you
want to allow some nice styled input take a look at:

http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/plugins.php

There are others but I'm considering this one (although not tested it yet)
If it does cause potential indexing problems, could you potentially have a
content management system that creates a new page (from a template linked
to a master perhaps) and allow the user to type into a text box for the
text bit and upload am image for the image bit?

on mine they have a text area for the main content, they insert stuff like:

My bold text

In addition I have buttons for other functionality such as the Repository
which stores uploaded documents and images, they can then click on one of
these to insert it into the main content area, ie:

[doc id="1"]A sample document[/doc]

This then gets parsed upon submission and gets replaced with a link to the
document on the server.

Hope this helps

Rob

Rob Meade

I am ideally wanting to use mySQL instead of SQL Server.

Why not consider making it compatible with either (and maybe Access)...

This is something else I wish I'd done...I have a lot of ASP code and
database requirements which mean it'll only run on expensive servers :eek:)

Rob

JJ

Thanks Rob.
I've heard about Dot Net Nuke - anyone else heard of or used this?

JJ

Rob Meade said:
[...]

Aemca

JJ said:
Thanks Rob.
I've heard about Dot Net Nuke - anyone else heard of or used this?

For a general purpose CMS I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

It's a portal application, want a portal then it's good.
Want a general CMS then look further.

Free CMS: umbraco, axcms

JJ

Thanks Aemca.

I agree with your sentments about DotNetNuke - its really doing too much for
my liking. I want to have more control over my work/design and I don't want
my clients to design their own portal, just upload the odd page and alter
the odd bit of text.
I am considering writing a simple one myself, but will look at the ones you
mention.

Just had a look:
Cuyahoga: based on .net 1.1, no good for me as I'm on 2.0;
umbraco: from what I read it seems you have to pay for a commercial license?
I'm looking for a free one;
axcms: looks interesting - am looking at this one further..

JJ

Aemca

JJ said:
Thanks Aemca.

I agree with your sentments about DotNetNuke - its really doing too much
for my liking. I want to have more control over my work/design and I don't
want my clients to design their own portal, just upload the odd page and
alter the odd bit of text.
I am considering writing a simple one myself, but will look at the ones
you mention.

Just had a look:
Cuyahoga: based on .net 1.1, no good for me as I'm on 2.0;
umbraco: from what I read it seems you have to pay for a commercial
license? I'm looking for a free one;
axcms: looks interesting - am looking at this one further..

JJ

1.1 will run fine on 2.0 it has a 2.0 version in the works.
Umbraco is free.
Same as with axcms there are commercial support options.

BTW cheep alternatives (not free)
http://www.kentico.com/
http://www.dozingdogs.com/