Content management

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JJ, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Firstly, I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question - this area is
    all new to me. If anyone can point me (politely) to a useful site I would
    very much appreciate it.

    I've built a web site utilising web parts and custom controls, and the
    ability for an administrator to edit text etc on certain pages. The site
    uses SQL 2005.

    I want to be able to move to the next step and allow the administrator to
    add/remove pages. I can see how I could load simple pages with a generic
    '/showpage.aspx?ID=123' url which loads textual content, but I am not sure
    how I could allow the user to add my custom controls to the database
    generated page, nor how to deal with personalisation of the webparts.

    Could anyone point me to some useful resources (I have googled this but
    found lots of examples on how to generate the basic pages)

    Be gentle...

    Thanks,
    JJ

    JJ, Jan 2, 2007

  2. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Just a thought:

    If I added controls to the page by using something like:
    PanelRight.Controls.Add(UserControl);

    (- based on whether that page has had the control added by admin and
    therefore had relevent flags set in its database record)

    And then used URL re-writing so that '/showpage.aspx?ID=123' appeared as
    '/About.aspx'...

    - would that mean that if a user/adminstrator edited the webparts on that
    page, that the personalisation would treat the page as '/About.aspx' and not
    '/showpage.aspx' ?

    In other words does URL rewrting allow you to use web parts and
    personalisation with database based pages as you can do with 'hard coded'
    pages...?

    eerrr HELP!

    JJ

    JJ, Jan 2, 2007

  3. look at the beerhouse starter kit at www.asp.net

    It should give you the basic idea of how to put together a site like your
    after, or you could just crib it entirely.
    --
    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    VISIT MY WEBSITE:
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jan 2, 2007
  4. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks John,

    I have looked at that and it was a great help with other things.
    Unfortunately it doesn't help with adding pages dynamically, or therefore
    adding user controls to those dynamically created pages.

    JJ, Jan 2, 2007
  5. Take a look at tools like AXCMS,
    http://www.axcms.net/en_axcms_services.AxCMS?ActiveID=7251

    Its industrial strength and free to download. Probably much more the kind
    of tool your after.

    John Timney \(MVP\), Jan 2, 2007