Content Managements Systems?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Usenet, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Usenet

    Usenet Guest

    What's the general thought on these?
    Has anyone used Etomite? (www.etomite.org)

    It seems to be perfect for "less involved" usage, just pasting a
    block of content into a standard templated page.

    For something a bit more involved (not that I'm doing that very well,
    but I'm trying :) ), there seem to be, ummm, difficulties.

    Is it worth it, or too restricting. OK, I know, "it depends"
    questions, but some general thoughts would be helpful, possibly to
    save me sloggin away at a no-hoper, if that's the case.

    Regards
    Mark Stanton
    One small step for mankind...

    PS I'm hoping this has cross posted properly rather than badly, we'll
    see.

    Usenet, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Usenet

    NC Guest

    Usenet wrote:

    > What's the general thought on these?

    They exist. :)

    > I know, "it depends" questions, but some general thoughts
    > would be helpful, possibly to save me sloggin away at a
    > no-hoper, if that's the case.

    You may find this resource of use:

    http://www.opensourcecms.com/

    All products have full-blown demo installations running (you can even
    log in as administrator to see what the admin interface looks like).

    Cheers,
    NC

    NC, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Usenet

    JDS Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:34:47 +0100, Usenet wrote:

    > What's the general thought on these?

    It depends.

    Ho ho ha ha hheeehehehe! Haa hahaha!Ha! ooh i crakka me up. but seriously,

    "it depends"

    For me, if I have a smallish project that I know will not grow beyond a
    coupla dozen pages, and will only ever be maintained by one person or so,
    and does not need any features like calnedars or RSS feed or workflow
    management or editorial oversight or whatever, then I go as simple as
    possible -- a "header", a "footer", and include those into each page
    using PHP's include() function. (Or the other way around, a "template"
    that includes the *content* into the page based on one query string
    variable).

    If the project has greater needs, a CMS is probably the most scalable,
    flexible, robust, featureful, etc. way to go.

    Ask yourself:
    What are your needs?
    Who is updating the site?
    How big is the site going to be?
    Will it need additional features that a CMS could provide? (take a look at
    all the "plug ins" for open source CMSes such as Mambo, NucleusCMS,
    WordPress, and you will see what I mean)

    If your needs are simple, then a CMS may be overkill. Tweaking a
    full-blown CMS to work (and look) exactly how you want can be a lot of
    work. Also, some are easier to tweak than others. And by "tweak" I don't
    necessarily mean "program complex features" but, rather, more basic stuff
    like adding your own templates and layouts. This can be rather involved.
    (Over complicated, IMO)

    But if you are happy with the out-of-the-box features and layouts of a
    particular CMS, then by all means, use it.

    Personally, I have found NucleusCMS to be the right balance of easy to
    install, easy to use, easy to tweak (relatively easy), and yet flexible
    and powerful. WordPress is similar. But go to http://opnesourcecms.com
    for some more info.

    later...

    --