    I would like to know if CMS programmed in Ruby exist ?

    Regards,
    MB

    Mathieu Blondel, Oct 7, 2004

  2. On Oct 7, 2004, at 17:34 Uhr, Mathieu Blondel wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to know if CMS programmed in Ruby exist ?

    i just finished one. it's done with rails. it might take a while until
    i release it to the public though..

    Florian Weber, Oct 7, 2004

  3. Mathieu Blondel

    Kirk Haines Guest

    On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:34:46 +0900, Mathieu Blondel wrote
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I would like to know if CMS programmed in Ruby exist ?

    They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

    I have one. I have a bunch of legacy users who are on an old one written in
    Perl. I have been converting it to Ruby with IOWA so that I could add new
    features and generally make it better. It's not really something I plan to
    release, though, in part because the conversion is only 1/2 done. Parts in
    still Perl, and in part because even though it is in Ruby on a good
    framework, it's still just a conversion and enhancement on a system that
    won't win any awards for beauty or elegance.

    Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking system that
    he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done directly with
    mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other framework. That one is, or
    was, publically available at some version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll
    see if I can find out what the state of that is and report back.

    Kirk Haines

    Kirk Haines, Oct 7, 2004
  4. > They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

    In fact, I would prefer to see public ones :)

    > Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking system that
    > he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done directly with
    > mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other framework. That one is, or
    > was, publically available at some version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll
    > see if I can find out what the state of that is and report back.

    I may end up to do a CMS for my site and in this case I would release it
    publically.

    I think I wouldn't use big frameworks either.

    Some features I need would be :
    - XML based structures content
    - Good metadata system
    - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)
    - i18n
    - workflows
    - versionning
    - groupware

    Mathieu Blondel, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Florian Weber ha scritto:

    > i just finished one. it's done with rails. it might take a while until
    > i release it to the public though..

    release early release often!
    Ju7st make it really clear is alpha quality ;)

    gabriele renzi, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Mathieu Blondel

    Eric Hodel Guest

    --Apple-Mail-2-866249408

    On Oct 7, 2004, at 10:04 AM, Mathieu Blondel wrote:

    > > They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

    ZenWeb - http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenWeb/index.html

    Long in existence.

    > In fact, I would prefer to see public ones :)
    >
    >> Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking
    >> system that he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done
    >> directly with mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other
    >> framework. That one is, or was, publically available at some
    >> version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll see if I can find out what
    >> the state of that is and report back.

    > I may end up to do a CMS for my site and in this case I would release
    > it publically.
    >
    > I think I wouldn't use big frameworks either.
    >
    > Some features I need would be :
    > - XML based structures content

    You really don't want this. Really.

    ZenWeb works with plain text files with simple markup, much easier to
    edit.

    > - Good metadata system

    ZenWeb has an awesome hierarchical metadata system. Truly, truly
    awesome. (Truly.)

    > - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)

    Since ZenWeb is based on files, you can control this at the FS level.

    > - i18n

    Tricky, but possible with the nifty renderers ZenWeb has.

    > - workflows

    Not built-in.

    > - versionning

    CVS.

    > - groupware

    What does this mean?

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    All messages signed with fingerprint:

    --Apple-Mail-2-866249408
    name=PGP.sig
    content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

    --Apple-Mail-2-866249408--

    Eric Hodel, Oct 9, 2004

  7. >
    >> - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)

    > Since ZenWeb is based on files, you can control this at the FS level.

    Not great if you have thousand of users...

    >> - groupware

    > What does this mean?

    forums, calendars, notes, tasks to allow people to work together

    Mathieu Blondel, Oct 9, 2004
  8. On Oct 9, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

    > On Oct 7, 2004, at 10:04 AM, Mathieu Blondel wrote:
    >
    >> > They exist. They may not be publically released, but they exist.

    > ZenWeb - http://zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenWeb/index.html
    >
    > Long in existence.
    >
    >> In fact, I would prefer to see public ones :)
    >>
    >>> Paul Vudmaska (paul, are you still lurking?) has a nice looking
    >>> system that he created for a bunch of his clients. It's done
    >>> directly with mod_ruby/eruby without the benefit of any other
    >>> framework. That one is, or was, publically available at some
    >>> version. If Paul isn't listening, I'll see if I can find out what
    >>> the state of that is and report back.

    >> I may end up to do a CMS for my site and in this case I would release
    >> it publically.
    >>
    >> I think I wouldn't use big frameworks either.
    >>
    >> Some features I need would be :
    >> - XML based structures content

    > You really don't want this. Really.

    That's a tad arrogant, isn't it? If poster needs XML structured
    content, that is what he needs. I too would consider it requirement of
    a good CMS to have a good understanding of XML and namespaces.

    > ZenWeb works with plain text files with simple markup, much easier to
    > edit.

    Depends on what tools you are using.

    >> - Good metadata system

    > ZenWeb has an awesome hierarchical metadata system. Truly, truly
    > awesome. (Truly.)
    >
    >> - Roles and rights (abouts users and files)

    > Since ZenWeb is based on files, you can control this at the FS level.

    This is far too impractical for large numbers of files. You would end
    up implementing chmod interface for it anyhow and it would be hell to
    track and display nicely.

    >> - i18n

    > Tricky, but possible with the nifty renderers ZenWeb has.
    >
    >> - workflows

    > Not built-in.
    >
    >> - versionning

    > CVS.
    >
    >> - groupware

    > What does this mean?

    Personally I think Bricollage (written in perl, http://bricolage.cc/)
    has a nice feature set. If something like it existed in Ruby I would
    certainly use it.

    /Curne

    (Curne) Simon Conrad-Armes, Oct 10, 2004