Content Page Controls Disappear When I Click OK on Javascript Alertbox

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by e_spork@yahoo.com, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I am using Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript to throw up a
    Javascript alert box. When I click OK on the alert box, all the
    controls on my page disappear and I don't understand why. I can View
    Source in the browser and see all the controls so I know they are
    there, yet they vanish once I click OK. This is happening on a
    Content page. The browser is IE 6.0.2900 and I'm running it inside of
    Visual Studio 2005.

    My master page consists of nothing more than a couple of <div>s and a
    ContentPlaceHolder. My content page contains a user control (.ascx)
    and an Insert button. The user control is basically the UI for an
    underlying business object which contains its own validation logic.
    For testing purposes, I have coded the Page_Load method to throw up an
    alert() box on any postback. Here's the code, in brief:

    <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master"
    AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="AddUser.aspx.cs"
    Inherits="DesktopCl_AddUser" %>
    <%@ MasterType TypeName="MasterPage" %>
    <%@ Register Src="../ucDesktopClUser.ascx" TagName="ucDesktopClUser"
    TagPrefix="uc1" %>

    <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1"
    Runat="Server">

    <h1>Add User</h1><br />

    <uc1:ucDesktopClUser ID="UcDesktopClUser1" runat="server" />
    <asp:Button ID="InsertButton" runat="server"
    CausesValidation="True" CommandName="Insert"
    Text="Insert" OnClick="InsertButton_Click"></asp:Button>

    </asp:Content>

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    if (IsPostBack)
    {
    string script = "alert(\" Test \");";
    ClientScriptManager csm = this.ClientScript;
    if (!csm.IsStartupScriptRegistered(this.GetType(),
    "ErrorPopup"))
    csm.RegisterStartupScript(this.GetType(),
    "ErrorPopup", script, true);
    DesktopClUser user = new DesktopClUser();
    UcDesktopClUser1.User = user;

    This is the script emitted by RegisterStartupScript:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    alert(" Test ");// -->
    </script>

    Why does clicking on the alert() box cause the controls to disappear?
    Is this a browser issue?
    , Jan 23, 2008